First Steps First

Natasha's P.O.V.

"Looks like you have a visitor," Morse said, gesturing to where Steve Rogers was walking towards us.

"Hope you have fun with your new partner," Clint said with a teasing tone as he helped me up from the mat. Bobbi had been teaching us how to fight with batons, well mainly me but Clint thought it would be fun to learn.

I rolled my eyes at the comment. "Have fun on babysitting duty," I whispered as I went over to Rogers.

"I hope I didn't interrupt anything," Rogers said, looking over my shoulder at Clint, who I'm sure at this time was looking like a kicked puppy.

"Not much, just a little sparring amongst friends," I said grabbing a water bottle and wiping sweat off the back of my neck. "So, what's the mission?"

"You, Rumlow, and I need to take down what Fury believes is a trafficking ring." Great, a milk run and not a fun one at that. Probably just getting us used to working together before we reach the big leagues. "Liftoff is in thirty minutes and we'll be briefed on the way there."

I nod and go to the locker room so I can shower and change. While I was toweling off, I noticed that I had a decent amount of bruising on my abdomen. I shrugged, nothing concealer can't cover.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'll distract the boss while you two get the girls out and then we'll clean the place out," I said, leaning back in the quinjet seat.

"No way," Rumlow said.

I went to argue but Rogers cut me off, "I agree with Rumlow, we're aren't splitting up, we don't know what all this guy has. I don't want either of you two to getting hurt, because we didn't think everything through."

"Don't mean to be rude, but I've done enough of these missions, on my own may I add, to know that these guys all think the same. Get them distracted and they wouldn't even notice a nuclear bomb going off."

Rogers grumbles a little before speaking up, "Fine, but I want to escort, just in case there are a few extra goons lurking, then you need to be on comms at all times."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We did end up running into a few goons, but nothing I couldn't handle by myself or at least I could have if Rogers hadn't tried to get in my way every time. It wasn't until I was paired with someone else that I remembered how well Clint and I worked together. We didn't even need to talk it was like we could just read the other's mind and know what they were about to do.

Luckily for the girls though, everything worked out well and they got put into police care while the three of us went to the safe house that SHIELD had set up.

"Looks like there are only two rooms," Rumlow said after scoping out the house, "Someone's going to have to buddy up if they want a bad." I didn't like the look that Rumlow gave. "I'm just saying sweetheart, let the men who did the actual work sleep in real beds," He whispered to me, out of earshot for the captain.

"Well," I said loudly, "I'm going to clean up while the two of you figure out who's going to be the big spoon."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had just finished wrapping my abdomen - because it turns out what I thought was just some normal post spar bruising was actually tore muscles – when there was a knock on the bedroom door.

"Come in," I called out as I began to sort through my duffle bag and look for clothes to go out in. I knew that I wasn't going to sleep any tonight and figured I could use the time in London to catch up with an old friend.

"I just wanted to check in with- Oh, I'm sorry," Rogers said upon entering the room. I turned around and saw he had turned his head to the side and was looking down at the ground.

"You're fine Rogers, I wouldn't have told you to come in if I would have uncomfortable by it," I said, slipping on a plain black t-shirt.

Rogers finally looked up at me, though I could see the remints of blush across his face. "I just wanted to make sure that you were okay. What happened to you?" He gestured to my abdomen.

"I sprained or pulled a muscle while training earlier and I just now got time to looking after it?"

"Didn't that hurt during the mission?"

I shrugged while grabbing the leather jacket I brought, "A little, not the worst thing that I've had going into the mission."

Rogers just nodded before furrowing his brows. "Where are you going?"

"A pub down the street to meet up with a friend. Want to join?"

"I guess, but don't you want to rest after the mission?"

"Not really, I'm still too tense from the mission."

"Alright," Rogers said, "You lead the way."

He gestured to the door and I took the lead. "Don't worry about this guy either Cap, he's a good guy."

"What's his name?"

"Hunter," I said as we exited the safe house.