9

The last few weeks stretched longer–filled with repertoires of chaotic emotional rollercoasters, it was as if the entire universe conspired against her. 

And when you want something, the entire universe conspired to make it happen was what she had read in The Alchemist but so far it hadn't been evident in her life. 

She wanted peace and relief from the trouble she was vexed with but that was not what she had gotten. 

She sighed. Each day followed the regular pattern. 

One day, one trouble.

Today was not different when it turned out that the person she had refused to help days ago turned out to be Derek. Life was a cruel trick. 

How she was able to maintain an innocent stance, denying all what he said and step out of her boss's house unfazed surprised her.

Jane thought back to the day of the accident and simply shrugged. No matter what, she would never own up to something she said out of emotional hysteria. Something she did not mean to someone she mistook for someone else. 

After washing the dishes, she had left the house before any person. Glad that she survived the torturous stare of Derek,  she smiled her way through to the house. 

She felt relief the moment her house came to view. It was just beside Phoebe's apartment. It was a self contained flat but it housed true happiness and comfort for her. Thinking of her son and the way she had decided to raise him and stand by him for these six years gave her a sense of fulfillment. 

She walked into the compound and walked towards Phoebe's apartment. She stopped and knocked softly on Phoebe's door. She had left Junior with her before leaving for work during the late hours of the morning. 

When Phoebe did not respond, she opened the door and walked in. 

Phoebe held Junior in front of her. They were seated on the floor and watching a cartoon on her phone. 

Phoebe looked up the moment her door opened. “Jane,” she smiled. “Welcome,”

Jane walked towards them her feet felt cold against the uncovered cement floor as she inhaled the smell of damp that was peculiar to every raining season.

The faint light from the phone illuminated the ceiling. Despite that, the house was close to darkness. There had been no power supply for days. Jane dusted her feet against the doormat.

“Little man," she chuckled. 

Junior looked up instinctively and smiled widely the moment he sighted her. Jane smiled and widened her hands, ready for a hug. 

“Mummy,” Junior stood up and ran towards Jane.

She engulfed him in a hug. “My baby,” she cooed and ran her hand down his hair. “mummy missed you so so much.” she cuddled him tighter. 

“I missed you too mummy,” he said, his tiny voice echoed in the house. 

Phoebe and Jane chuckled. 

She withdrew from the hug and squatted before Junior. “What does my baby want to eat?” she asked happily. 

“Suya,” he sang. 

Jane laughed boisterously and carried him in her arms. “Okay, let's go get some suya.”

He laughed. “I love you mummy,”

“And I love you more,” she pouted and turned to Phoebe with a smile. “Group hug everyone,” she said beckoning on Phoebe to come. 

Phoebe joined and they all laughed while the hug lasted. They pulled away, happiness evident in their voices.