20

Phoebe hurried down the podium of the large courtroom, her steps echoed as her heels collided with the floor. She walked towards the pew where Jane was seated with her head bowed and sat beside her. Pulling  Jane up gently, she saw that her eyes was misty with tears.

Phoebe creased her forehead in worry. “Is anything wrong Jane?” she asked. “Why are you crying?”

Jane adjusted and wiped her eyes. “Am I?” she asked, sniveling.

Phoebe chuckled briefly and raised her brows in surprise. “Of course.”

“Then these are tears of joy.”

Phoebe smiled, she could still remember the joy that swept across her heart when the judge pronounced them winners and asked Emeka to pay a fine of three million naira for all the damages.

“Joy?” Phoebe asked puzzled. “Why tears of joy?”

“Yes,” Jane shook her head and shut her eyes, the tears flowed more. “My mother showed up Phoebe. Emeka’s father testified against him. This is the miracle of the ages. I feel like I'm dreaming.” she turned to Phoebe. “Why did you not tell me that you had everything planned out?”

Phoebe laughed. “It was Derek's idea not to tell you.”

“Derek knew?” Jane asked.

Phoebe nodded.

“But how–”

“No buts Jane, bask in your victory, Junior is yours.”

Jane smiled and hugged her. it was brief, tender and filled with love–God’s love. She released her from the hug and another tear slipped again.

“Cry cry baby,” a familiar voice cooed. “See who's the latest official mother in town.”

“Derek,” Jane chimed, watching as he walked closer to them.

He was holding Junior and had a spark in his eyes.

“Mummy,” Junior hugged Jane and released a shrill laughter.

Jane smiled, his laughter sounded like music to her ears–calm and soothing.

“Jane,” Phoebe called, looking sidewards.“I think there's someone here to see you.”

Jane turned and saw her mother and Tunmise advancing towards her. She stilled and her heart skipped, she didn't know how to react. They walked closer and she dropped Junior and held his hand, letting him stand by her side.

When they approached her, Tunmise stared at Junior and smiled. “He has your eyes,” he said.

Forgetting the anger that she had carried all these years against Tunmise, she walked toward him and hugged him tightly. He stiffened but hugged her back.

“Brother,” she cried. “I’ve missed you.” her tears soaked his white shirt.

She released him and looked at his finger, he was wearing a wedding ring.

“You’re married?” she asked, creasing her forehead in surprise.

He nodded.

He had never told her he was getting married and so it hurt her to think that she had not known.

“For how long?” she asked.

“Two years now. I have a daughter.”

Jane nodded. Everything was getting clearer. It was the reason he had not been at the house the day she had gone and why she hadn't seen him in years.

Tunmise gave a tight lipped smile. His smile reminded her of her father's. Demure and appealing. She suddenly felt the urge to cry again. She missed him and wished he was here to see that his grand son was doing well and she was pushing against all odds that life brought. He needed to have seen her winning the battles life was bringing. He needed to see that she was learning to trust Jesus.