epilogue- 5 years later

[5 years later]

Alex's POV
"Babe are you ready to go? We have to meet with May in 10 minutes and it takes 15 to get there!" I shout to my fiance. Peter comes in and just smiles, before showing me his web-shooters and replying sneakily "It only takes 5 minutes by web." Before I have time to realize what he means, I'm lifted off my feet and flying in the air with the man I love. 

6 minutes later, we land in the alley next to a cute coffee shop in Queens. May spots us as we walk out of the alley,  and she hugs us before dragging us inside. 

"How are my two favorite boys? Anything interesting happen this week?" She asks, grinning as if she knows. Peter smiles and holds up our linked hands, showcasing the rings. 

"Well, actually..."May gasps, feigning shock. 

"what, not surprised?" I ask jokingly.

"I mean, Alex, you did ask for my permission last month so I knew it was coming. I'm so proud of you two. I can't wait to plan the wedding!" She says, getting more excited as she speaks.
Suddenly she gasps. 

"Have you told Tony yet? Oh my god he's going to freak out."

"No, I wanted to wait so that you can plan the wedding before he tries to offer us money. And besides, if I tell him now all he'll talk about is the wedding, and I think I can only handle one parental figure talking my ear off about it," Peter says grinning at Aunt May. 

We spend the morning with May, talking and laughing, just having a good time. I'm glad to see Peter so happy, so free. I'm just worried about what my parents will say. 

After May leaves, Peter and I sit and talk. I voice my worries to him about my parents' reaction, since they were not the most supportive. They didn't kick me out or anything, and always were kind to Peter when he was over at our house, but we never talked about me being gay. It's as if I was in a limbo between acceptance and disappointment. I just hope they won't be angry that I'm marrying a man.

We go to my parent's apartment next, and my nerves are worse than ever. My mom opens the door and smiles at us. "Alec, Peter! Come on in, I missed you boys." 

"Thank you Clarise, we actually have something we want to show you. Is everyone home?" Peter takes the lead and I'm grateful, I couldn't have spoken right now with how tight my throat is. 

"Yes, yes, I'll go get your father and sister." My mom says, looking more nervous than me. She runs out of the room, and comes back in a few moments later with my younger sister and my father. They smile at me but I can sense tension. I think they know what's coming.

"Um, so... I proposed to Peter." I state. 

"And I said yes." Peter says, grabbing my hand. I look up and am surprised to see a smile on my mother's face. It even looked genuine. 

"That's great! I'm gonna have a son in law!" She hugs Peter and I relax a little. My dad does not look as pleased, but he's at least trying to be supportive. He says "I'm happy for you son," but I can tell there's something else he wants to say. 

My little sister is ecstatic and joins in on the hug, and soon even my dad is hugging Peter and I. I hope he learns to genuinely support me and Peter, but until then I'll take what I can get. 

We leave the apartment after discussing wedding plans and making sure my mom has May's contact information. I've never been happier than in this moment, walking down the streets of New York with Peter.

[5 years after wedding]

Peter's POV

I'm grinning as I watch my husband play with our children. We adopted 15 year old Rey, who recently came out to us as non binary. Of course Alex and I were very supportive of them, and I talked through possibilities of transitioning with them. We also adopted 7 year old Ellie, who is the fiercest little girl I've ever known. 

I'm sitting in a lawn chair, tanning in the sun with my shirt off. My scars are slightly visible, but I'm proud of them. I wouldn't be who I am today if it wasn't for all of my experiences, the good and bad. I've come such a long way;from being an anxious teenager who self harmed and hated himself, to being a confident adult who knows he is loved. 

I promise to myself to never take anything for granted; it all happens for a reason and everything tends to work out in the end. I'm finally at peace with myself.