30.

TRUE INTENTIONS

"Help me to decide

Help me make the most of freedom

And of pleasure

Nothing ever lasts forever."

Lorde, Everybody Wants To Rule The World

Sybil lit up some tealights and one of his favorite incense sticks. As the billowing smoke courted the air with the mesmerizing fragrance of Nagchampa, he moved to the kitchen. Humming the Gayatri mantra, he prepared a licorice herbal tea. It was a perfect choice of drink since the night was going to be chilly. He placed two porcelain cups on a tray along with the Japanese teapot Maria bought him and quietly headed back to the terrace, extra careful not to get tangled in his ball sleeves.

After serving the tea to his guest, he took a seat beside him. He crossed his legs and flattened the creases on his white robe right over his right knee. Lifting his cup, his eyes indulged on the fine floral painting—a blue lily blossoming out of the white emptiness of the ceramic. Enjoying the silence, he took a sip of the unsweetened infusion. His gaze shifted up to behold the everchanging sky. Warmth lingered in his loins, melted by the heat of touching a living star. His heart has never been lighter.

Licorice's hint of bitterness hit his tongue, immediately washed away by the irresistible sweetness. Upon gulping down, came the slightly bitter aftertaste. It reminded him of Set. Glancing at the boy, Sybil smiled to himself. Even though the future of the world was at stake, it was a pleasant moment.

John's modulated voice brought him out of his contemplative state. "Aren't you even the slightest bit worried about him?"

Sybil pulled his most innocent tone. "Why should I?"

"Why?" The cardinal slowly shook his head. "I want you alive. We have to take precautions." Half a smile formed on his lips implying he knew more than he wanted to say.

Sybil didn't answer but slowly turned his questioning gaze on John. Helping the Oracle wasn't a smart choice. The best one would be to get rid of him and find a way to use Solomon's ring.

In response, the cardinal glanced at Set, who stood at the terrace's edge, his back against the low wall. John's green-blue eyes sparkled in amusement upon meeting the boy's glare. Obviously, he didn't want to say too much in front of a demon, yet he was intrigued. Set bared his teeth.

"Oh, silly me," Sybil interjected in his most delicate tone. "Even though it's such an important thing, I haven't really introduced you two properly."