Chapter 2- Wei Xing

"Let's play hide or seek," Huang Rong chirped. She was the next door neighbor's daughter and about the same age as Kairi. Huang Rong had gathered many of the children of the village to play with their 'new found' friend.

"It's called hide and seek," Kairi corrected. It had been almost a week since she started living in the village. It was tough trying to act as a child but she tried her best. It felt refreshing at first but Kairi quickly got bored of constantly playing. She wanted to make use of her time learning the small amount of literature they had and the strange magical herbs that had grown in the large acre garden outback but unfortunately, many adults kept her from touching such things as she was considered too young to learn such things.

Sighing at the thought, she was given the task of seeker while the rest of the children hid. Kairi had always been good at hide 'n seek but she became extremely good after entering this strange world. For some reason, she had the ability to sense each and every child's aura. They weren't strong but they gave off distinct feel. If she could put it in words, she could only describe it as 'a child's innocence'.

"Ready or not, here I come," Kairi announced. She opened her eyes and felt four children nearby. She walked down the gravel path and saw four upturned basket and four piles of magical herbs that had been thrown carelessly on the ground. Shaking her head, she knocked on all four baskets and the four children came out in defeat.

"Darn it! I was so sure it would be a good hiding spot," Chen Yi groaned.

"Chen Yi, since you're the one who suggested this hiding spot, you and the rest need to pick up these magical herbs and placed them back in the basket. If Old Lady Wang came by and saw this, we'll get into trouble and we won't get to play anymore," Kairi warned. Chen Yi's eyes enlarged at the thought and quickly rounded the other kids to help him pick up the herbs. Once she was sure that they would pick up every herb, she made her way over to the next hiders. One by one, she easily found them until only one was left.

"Looks like Huang Rong is last again," one of the children commented.

"Sigh..." Once again, Huang Rong had hidden in a place out of her sensing zone. It could only mean that Huang Rong had hidden outside of the village.

"Everyone wait here and don't cause any trouble. I'll go find her and bring her back," Kairi ordered.

"Xiao You, you sound just like an adult," Chen Yi said suddenly.

That's because I am one!

She didn't say anything and took off in a certain direction until she could sense Huang Rong. It seemed that she really had left the village. How in the world did she manage to escape the guards? Her question was quickly answered when she saw a little hole in the stone wall. It was big enough for a child to crawl through. There were no guards in sight and she figured it was faster to go get Huang Rong herself. Crawling through the hole, she made it out of the village and into a dense forest. She followed the aura of Huang Rong and didn't make it far when she sensed something evil headed in her direction. Sensing the incoming danger, she quickly shouted for Huang Rong.

"Rong-er! Where are you? Come out!" Nothing. Not a sound and just as she opened her mouth to shout again, a piercing scream filled the air.

"

"What a tasty looking human! I'll have it for a snack," it sneered. Kairi wasn't sure what possessed her to act out but she had already reached down for a stone. She could feel energy surging through her arm and sent the stone flying at the monster. It flew through the air like a bullet and pierced the monster's stomach. It let out a painful cry and loosened its grip. Huang Rong dropped to the ground with a loud 'thud' and Kairi screamed for her to run. Huang Rong didn't wait to get told twice.