Chapter 14 [edited]

"I don't care about what your new wife thinks of Autumn and I!" Mom yelled into the phone, pacing through the kitchen. "I'm telling you, as her father, that someone is out to harm Autumn!"

I cringed at the tone of Mom's voice, wrapping the blanket closer to my body as I listened to her conversation from the living room. Charlie had driven me home and was currently on the front porch with another officer. I could see them through the window, expressions grim as they tried to piece the case together. Mom's voice snapped me back to the living room.

"You know what, Clint? Forget it! Obviously, your daughter isn't important to you. When are you going to stop treating her like a burden and like she's an actual human being? She needs you! She needed you for the last 18 years and not once have you come through for her! So you know what, just stay with your new wife in Michigan. I will take care of Autumn by myself like I always have. I hope you burn in hell!"

The sound of the phone being slammed on the phone indicated Mom hung up before Dad could utter another excuse. Tears swelled in my eyes as Mom appeared from the kitchen, her face showing exhaustion.

"Aww, baby. Don't cry," Mom sat down next to me, cradling me in her arms. "We're going to be okay. Charlie will figure this out, I promise."

"I'm sorry," I choked out between sobs. "I'm sorry I'm such a burden."

"Autumn Bernadette Watson. You are not a burden." Mom scowled. "You are far from a burden. Don't let your father tell you or make you think otherwise. It's his loss that he doesn't want to be involved in your life."

"Is it because I did something wrong?" I mumbled after a short silence. "Is that why he hates me and doesn't want anything to do with me?"

"No, sweetheart. This is not your fault. He decided that being a family with us was too complicated for him, years ago. The only reason why the divorce happened was because I was too tired of trying to make things work while he was off chasing other women. Granted, I didn't know that before. I would've left him a lot sooner if I did. But no, you did nothing wrong."

"I agree with your mom on that one," Charlie's voice floated from the doorway. "You're a great kid, Autumn. Anyone would be lucky to know you."

"Thanks, Charlie." I sniffled, wiping my eyes with the edge of my blanket.

"Anything?" Mom asked him as she held me against her body.

"We have a lead, a fingerprint. But we won't know for sure until it comes back from the lab."

"Do you have any ideas?"

Charlie grimaced, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Yeah. Yeah, I do. And I think Autumn has the same idea, from what Jake said."

"Reed and Chloe." I whispered, my gaze dropping to the floor.

"It's a good possibility. We're looking into it." Charlie sighed. "I have a connection in Michigan checking things out over there, keeping an eye on them."

"Thank you. For everything." Mom told him, laying her cheek on the top of my head.

"Get some sleep, kiddo. I'll be right outside if you need anything."

Charlie squeezed my shoulder reassuringly before stepping out onto the porch. Mom sighed, her body relaxing into the couch.

"You heard the man. Go get some sleep, sweetheart. You have school in the morning."

"I love you, Mom." I said as I stood up, wrapping the blanket around my shoulders.

"I love you too, Leaf. Always have, always will."