Chapter 36 [edited]

Dear Autumn,

If you're reading this, it means I'm no longer in pain. I didn't tell you or your mother about my illness, because there was nothing you could've done for me. No, not even magic could help - believe me, I tried.

Do not cry for me, child. I have lived a happy life and I will continue to have that peace knowing you and your mother have a family to help look after you, the Quileute tribe.

Giuliana's house now belongs to you. My lawyer will give you the deed to the house after the funeral; remember, the house may hold answers to the questions you are seeking. Our bloodline lives on, through you.

I love you, always.

Grandma

The words from Grandma's last letter replayed in my mind as the car rolled to a stop, the familiar crescent moons carved into the shutters as comforting as the fading sunset. My flowy black dress rustled at the slight cool breeze whooshing around my legs as I stepped onto the uneven sidewalk.

Crickets chirping somewhere in the grass ceased with each slow step I took, my eyes focused on the red front door. Behind me, Jacob grabbed the suitcases out of the trunk while Leah and Chloe stood nearby with Sam and Emily. I could feel their eyes watching me as I stopped on the porch, mere inches away from the doorknob.

After I returned home from Jacob's the night of the battle against the newborns, I found Mom sitting on the couch without the lights turned on. Confused, I reached for the closest lamp, my heart falling into my stomach as I took in her puffy red eyes. Trying to speak, Mom had waved to the coffee table in front of her; a letter addressed to me in my grandma's handwriting was propped against the flower vase, fresh carnations replacing the slightly dying bouquet from a few days before. Snatching the letter from the table, I quickly read the contents, collapsing onto the couch next to Mom as tears streamed from my face.

According to the letter Mom received, Grandma had been battling cancer since Christmas. She didn't tell us sooner because she didn't want to take the joy out of my graduation or my birthday, she wrote; tear stains were scattered throughout the thin paper, Grandma's handwriting shakily displayed in cursive. The funeral arrangements had been made in advance, her last gift to her loving daughter; the viewing was taking place a week after my birthday.

"Autumn," Jacob said softly, his hand on my shoulder, pulling me back to reality. "You don't have to do this right now."

"I do," I whispered, tears spilling onto my face. "I have to do this. It's what she wanted."

"We're right here for you." He squeezed me gently, comfortingly.

"Thank you," I gave him a wary smile before taking a deep breath. "Here we go."

Twisting the doorknob in my hand, I pushed the door open and stepped inside. The smell of vanilla and brown sugar reached my nostrils and I let out a sob but kept walking. Everything had been left the same since my last visit, except for a faint layer of dust covering every surface. As I stood in the front hallway, I closed my eyes and felt the lingering magic brush against my skin.

"I, Autumn Bernadette, daughter of Julie Lynn, granddaughter of Lily Penelope, descendant of Giuliana Valentina, call upon the elements," I spoke confidently, almost reciting the words from memory, "to listen to my heart and accept my birthright. I am the rightful owner of Crescent Hill; my magic binding to the women who come before me and give me strength. I shine in their guidance as I accept my place as Quileute witch, imprinted to the rightful Alpha of the pack. This shall be our home, blessed be of love and honor. Sia benedetto l'amore e l'onore."