Bonus Chapter

Shadows danced on the walls, light seeping through the fabric on the lumafly lantern. The noise from outside was disturbing the silence of the small room, song of rain and buzzing wings. Despite it being supposedly the time to sleep, many were still awake at this late hour, guards patrolling the streets and other bugs still partying it up. Scent of sweets baked not long ago still lingered in the air, another distraction from the land of dreams. Garlands sloppily placed, were hanging on the walls, paper decorations stuck by a thread and scotch on the ceiling, some glued on the window, snowflakes, reindeers and candles clumsily cut out.

Eyes wide open were staring at the figures on the wall, discerning the lyre leaning against the drawer, fingers aching to brush themselves against the strings and release the melody captive within your mind. The warmth of the bed was not a good enough lullaby to lead you to the realm of dreams, neither was the softness of the sheets. Oh! How you envied your lover. Pure was sleeping soundly, chest rising up and down in synch with their steady breath blowing against the back of your neck, hand wrapped around you and pulling you close to their body in a comfortable cuddle. You sighed, turning around, careful not to disturb them, and pressed a kiss against their cheek, cold mask sending a slight shiver through your lips. You smiled and stared at their sleeping face, noticing crumbs of gingerbread standing out on the whiteness of their mask. They looked so offended when you asked if you wanted to leave them some of the sweets before you put the rest in the pantry. They seemed mad at your lack of confidence in their ability to restrain their appetite, especially when it came to sweets. You did leave some for them anyway, and you were glad you did, seeing the proof of the crime. Oh! You were so going to tease them in the morning.

Pure turned in their sleep, releasing their hold on you, letting you move as you wanted. There was no point in lying in bed, as sleep slipped through your finger every time you tried to touch it. You got up, stretching your arms and trying to make as little noise as possible. Through the darkness, you made your way to the closet, opening it and pulling out an old blanket that you had from your mother. You headed outside on the balcony, taking a seat on the leather sofa and watching the city where it rained forever, listening to the sound of the falling droplets crashing against the roof tiles. Lights were still on in some of the buildings, dark figures dancing at the windows. The City of Tears was quite something, a place unlike any you've seen in your entire life and you've traveled quite a lot. You've seen the lands of desert and heat, planes enclosed in nothing but ice and snow, forest with trees so tall you could barely climb them all the way to the top. You've visited kingdoms, each more impressive than the rest, but none were like Hallownest.

There was a quiet atmosphere dominating the caverns housing this kingdom, hiding an energy just waiting to explode and vitalize every single creature and object in its approach. It was why you stayed, curious as to see what will happen when that energy will burst. Or at least that was at the beginning. You met Pure and fell in love, the classic cheesy story that you never thought you'd fall prey to.

You sighed and looked at the rain, trying to pretend that it was snow falling off from the grey sky around this time of the year in your native land, a far away kingdom built in the trunks of trees and surrounded by white when winter came along. Oh! You missed it so much. The cold, the soft snow, the scent of pine leaves that you and your father would decorate while your mother was cooking in the kitchen. You yearned for the morning when you'd wake up and find presents in the living room, the ceremonies held at night around large bonfires, the dances and music. But it was much too far to travel to now. The least you could do to alleviate your longing was to decorate the apartment you and Pure were living in, with ornaments you made with your own hands, pulled from the depths of your memory. Your lover had been a true sweetheart and they went all the way to Kingdom's Edge to bring you one of the pale roots that grew there and helped you decorate it after placing it in the living room, Marisa's voice playing in the background. After that was done, you made some hot cocoa and played them some songs from your native land, at the lyre you had been carried with you everywhere you went. They listened, a smile blooming in their eyes with every melody, one that warmed up your insides, making you fall in love with them all over again.

The sound of the door opening, and scent of lemon tea caught your attention, pulling you out of your memories. You turned your head and saw Pure coming out, carrying two cups of steaming tea and a plate of gingerbread men. You smiled, getting up from the sofa and taking the cups and plate from them, the blanket which had been wrapped around you left behind on the sofa. While you set them on the coffee table next to the couch, Pure sat down on it, pulling you in their lap and draping the blanket over their shoulders, covering you as well. You giggled as they nuzzled their snout against your cheek, their impression of a kiss, claws gently writing letters across your arm, words taking shape and each one making you want to cry.

"I love you."

You heard it from them many times, in the death of the night and in the morning light, and they backed it up each time with actions that betrayed nothing but the genuinely of their heart.

"I love you too." you said softly, kissing them.

They returned your affection in full, clawsholding you close, showing the hunger for your touch and affection, one youwere more than glad to satisfy on the song of the rain falling all around. Eventhough you couldn't make it home that Christmas, the fact that they were therefor you was perfect enough for you. After all, being with a loved one was thewhole point of this holiday, no?