The 10 Best Pieces of Writing Advice

Good old-fashioned writing advice, namely the best writing advice I have ever personally read, received, or developed over the years. I'm handing my wisdom down to you.

by Jenna Moreci

1. Kick Inspiration: Habit is far more reliable than inspiration.

2. Don't Write for Dummies: Always assume your reader is smart.

3. Get the Baseball Bat: If you're not sure what to do next, break your character's legs. Complications. Whatever the problem is, make it worse.

4. Be Original: No one remembers a trend chaser.

5. Shut Up: Just because you know everything, doesn't mean the reader needs to know everything.

6. Get Over It: You're gonna be embarrassed at some point. Writing a book is humiliating. There are going to be moments where you want to crawl into a hole and die. If you plan on surviving this career, you really need to accept this now.

7. Keep 'em Guessing: The reader should never finish a chapter with all their questions answered, except for the last chapter, and it's a stand-alone.

8. Quit Making Excuses: Making aesthetic boards, talking to other writers and dreaming about your character is not writing and never will be.

9. Quote by John Bytheway: "Inch by inch, life is a cinch. Yard by yard, life is hard." Don't aspire to become famous. Make achievable goals.

10. Duh! Write what you want to read.