The 10 Hard Truths of Being a Writer

I'm delivering a much-needed kick in the butt, but I'm doing it because I care! Consider it a love tap.

by Jenna Moreci

1. Reader Exist: People are going to read your writing.

2. Stop Whining: Writing is not the hardest job in the world. Any time an author declares this, the Hellmouth opens up, and Satan laughs, and laughs, and laughs.

3. You're Not Cute: You know those super relatable procrastination memes? Have you paid attention to who's sharing them? They're unpublished, aren't they? "But Jenna!!! They're just memes! They're supposed to be fun!" I agree unless you're using them as validation to keep being a lazy sack of crap.

4. You're Still Not Cute: You're characters aren't real.

5. Get Better: Your first book will be your worst book. That doesn't mean it will be bad; lots of debuts are fantastic, but it'll probably be your worst, and honestly, something you should hope for. Writers grow as they write. They gain knowledge and experience, which means in theory each book should be better than the last.

6. Grow Up: You're not going to get a movie deal. A fraction of a percent of authors get movie deals, and there are millions of us out there. If this happens to you, then you're the exception. Wonderful! Good for you! But if you are basing your success as an author on getting a movie deal, you are setting yourself up for failure.

7. Seriously??? You'll probably never be famous either, and that's perfectly fine. You don't need to be famous in order to be successful.

8. Stop Feeling Entitled: No one is required to support you.

9. Money Takes Work: A lot of us don't make money.

10. ...sorry? Yes, writing is a business.