Chapter 12: Winter

I was on lookout when a rabbit comes up from a hole and looks around, I raise up my bow and arrow, steady my breathing, and fired at it, hitting it in the neck. I walk towards the rabbit, picking it up and remove the arrow.  "Oh, this won't last very long." I muttered as I put the arrow away and walk towards Fiona, tying the dead rabbit to her saddle.

I heard some hooves coming towards me and I look up to see Elliot riding Callus towards us. "Find anything?" I asked him as he dismounts from his horse. "Just some squirrels." He said ad he gestures towards some dead squirrels that he had tied up. He looks over my shoulder then his eyes widen. "What?" I asked then I turn around and saw a deer some feet away from us.

Elliot and I share a glance at each other then grab the reigns of our horses and toss them on a branch. "You two'll just startle it." Elliot said and he and I start to follow the deer. I shoot at it and the arrow hits the deer. It let's out a painted screech and it runs off. "Come on." Elliot said and we chase after the deer.

We find it, still alive, and Elliot goes to shoot it and he hits it as well. The deer let's out another screech and runs off. We follow the blood trail, that the deer left, to what looked like an abandoned warehouse. Elliot and I look around, nervously, at this place as it was giving me creepy vibes.

We run through a building and see the deer, now dead. We go towards the dead deer, still impaled with our arrow. Elliot observes it when I heard a snap of a twig and I turn around and aim my arrow at a tree, Elliot follows.

"Who's there?" I asked as we hold up our bow and arrow, but there was no response. "Come out!" Elliot orders and, finally, two men come out from behind a tree. One of them, who wS carrying a rifle on his back, holds out his hand. "Hello... we just want to talk." He said to us.

"Any sudden moves and I put one right between your eyes." Elliot threatens and I aim my arrow at the other guy. "Ditto for buddy-boy over there." I said.

"What do you want?" Elliot asked the men. "Name's David, this here's my friend, James. We're from a larger group - women, children - we're all very, very hungry." David said. "So are we - women and children - all very hungry too." Elliot said, firmly. 

"Well, maybe we could, ah, trade you for some of that meat there. What do you need? Weapons, ammo, clothes -" David started to say until I said, quickly. "Medicine! Do you have any antibiotics?"

"We do. Back at the camp." David said and he approaches us. "You're welcome to follow us-" he said but we shake our heads. "We're not following you anywhere." Elliot said and David stops moving. "Buddy-boy can go get it. He comes back with what we need, the deer is all yours. Anyone else shows up-" I said and David nods. "You put one right between my eyes." He finishes. "That's right." Elliot and I said, in unison.

David then turns to James. "Two bottle of the penicillin and a syringe. Make it fast." David said as Elliot and I point our arrow at James. "Go on." David said and James leaves then Elliot and I point our arrow at David.

"I'll take that rifle." Elliot said to him. "Of course." David said and he walks up to Elliot, placing the rifle in front of him. "Back up." I threatened as I aim my bow and arrow to him and he walks back a few feet.

Elliot puts his bow and arrow away then picks up the rifle and pulls back the bolt to see it is loaded then aims it at David. There was a long pause as David looks around.  He's probably gonna be a while. You ah, mind is we take some shelter from the cold?" Davi asked and I gesture towards the deer. "Bring him with us." I ordered.
David walks up to the dead deer, grabs it's antlers and proceeds to drag it towards a small barn. Elliot keeps the rifle trained on him and I keep my bow and arrow aimed at him as well.