Chapter 14: Is It Everything You Hoped For?

SPRING

"Kids! Did you hear me?" Joel said to us as Elliot and I were looking at a deer emblem on a wall. We jump and look over at Joel, confused. "No. What?" I asked and Joel points off into the distance. "Look. Hospital. This is where we get off." He said as we look over and see a sign that said Hospita . ext exit.

"Let's go, kiddos." Joel said to us and we nod at him and begin to walk towards him as the three of us walk down the turnpike. Neither Elliot or I have really talked much the last few weeks, not after what happened with David. In all honesty, I still have nightmare about that man. 

If Elliot hadn't woken up and grabbed that machete....I..I don't really want to think about it. 

And I've never seen Elliot so angry when he killed David, it also scared me and I think it scared him as he really hasn't talked much about it either.

"Heh. Feel that breeze, huh? I tell you, on a day like this, I'd just sit on my porch, pick away at my six string." Joel reminisces as we walk down the road. "....once we're done with this whole thing, I'm gonna teach you two how to play guitar. Yeah, I reckon you'd really like that. Whaddya say, huh?" Joel said to us, but neither Elliot or I don't respond.

"Kids, I'm talkin' to you." Joel said and we look back at him. "Huh? Oh, yeah, sure, that sounds great." Elliot said, distracted. "Yeah, sounds fun." I said, distracted as well, and we continued on. "I dreamt about flying the other night." Elliot said as I come up and see him looking at a picture of a plane on an old bus. "Oh yeah?" Joel said to him. "Yeah." He replied. "Go on, tell us about it." Joel encouraged him.

"So, I'm on this big plane full of people. And everyone is screaming and yelling 'cause the plane's going down. So I walk to the cockpit, open the door, but there's no pilot. I try to use the controls but...I obviously have no clue how to fly a plane. And right before we crash, I wake up. I've never been on a plane. Isn't that weird?" He asked us. "Hmpf. Well, you know, dreams are weird." Joel told him. 
Elliot nods and we began to walk down the road until we see a warning sign where the off ramp ends. "Look at that. Another city, another abandoned quarantine zone." Joel said as he climbs on top of a car to look out.

"There's that hospital the Firefly mentioned." He said as he points at the building. "C'mon, kiddos." Joel said to us as he jumps down from the car and continue on. 

We hop over the quarantine zone gate and enter an old bus terminal. "Maybe we cut through here, huh?" Joel said as we enter then I go and sit on one of the benches, lost in my own thoughts. "Everything all right?" Joel asked me and I look up to see him standing in front of me, a worried look on his face. "Yeah, I'm fine." I replied.

"You just kinda seem extra quiet today." Joel said to me  "Oh, sorry." I said, apologetically. "No, it's not...it's fine." Joel said as Elliot sits down next to me and places a hand on my shoulder. Joel walks away as he looks around while I turn to Elliot, who gives me a half smile.

I lean my head on his shoulder then wrapped my left arm around him and he places his right arm around me and holds me to him, tightly. "You know I had to do it." Elliot mutters and I look up at his green eyes. "What I did to David? I-I had to...I just...I just didn't want to lose you." He said and I nod. "I know. It just doesn't make what almost happened, less scary. I almost died." I whispered and Elliot holds me tighter just as we hear Joel call out for us.

"Kids!" He yells and we look over at him. "What?" We asked and Joel gestures up towards the balcony and I see a ladder sticking out from the top. "The ladder." Joel said and we nod at him. "Right." I muttered and I pulled out of Elliot's embrace and go over to Joel.