Chapter 6

~~~~Picture of Accalia.~~~~

Jaxson's POV

I sat on the bed thinking about everything that has happened. Ember just left to go hunting. I couldn't stop thinking about her even if I tried. Part of me wants to go find her and keep her safe. But my injuries weren't completely healed yet and something told me she would be really mad if I did.

Questions kept swirling around my head. Does she feel the bond? Why was she out here on her own? What happened to her? And why does she have a wolf for company? I glanced at Accalia as I thought that. She hadn't budged when Ember left. It was almost as if she knew exactly what she was supposed to do. Instead, she stayed on the bed, lying beside me. She was a magnificent wolf that's for sure. She looked strikingly similar to my own wolf, Ares. The biggest difference was the eyes. Hers were a striking blue while Ares' are amber.

I groaned as I sat further up in bed. Sean must be worried sick. I don't know how I will contact him. My cell was lost in the scuffle with the hunters, and I highly doubt Ember would have one. She wouldn't even have a place to charge it if she did. She had no electricity or running water.

I will have to go to town once I heal. At least he knows I'm not dead. He would feel the bond break if I had. We were too far away to mind link. He had given me a new mission that I hadn't even been able to even start properly. I was supposed to go check on this pack, the Shadow Pack. We have had troublesome reports of abuse and torture at the hands of their Alpha and apparently, he had a band of rouges working for him, keeping the pack from rising against him.

I had just gotten to town that was about an hour from pack lands when the hunters saw me. I'm not quite sure how they figured out what I was, which unnerved me. They must have gotten a tip from someone that I would be arriving. That is all I can think of. But who would betray their pack like that, especially their king?

The Bloodmoon pack was the Alpha King's pack. Sean is one of the strongest in this area, so the council had announced him as the leader of all packs in this region. As his beta, I was given tasks like helping the numerous packs under his reign and sorting out issues amongst them. Usually, the tasks as fairly simple, such as two packs at war over something stupid.

This new task was out of the ordinary. Not many Alpha's would risk an uprising by torturing the pack members and I can think of no Alpha that would be willing to work with a pack of rouges. Rouges are aggressive, dangerous, and hold no alliance. These rogues are the ones who lost their soul. Now vicious and enraged.

Granted, there are some rogues that just had bad luck. Being banned from their pack for trivial reasons. We have a strict entrance policy to rogues that have not yet lost their mind. They are thoroughly tested and questioned before being granted safety in the pack. We have had a few unlucky rogues join our ranks. Their pack had gone to war and lost. Those that fled wound up in Sean's territory.

I had made the drive to the area and had finally arrived in town. I figured I would grab a hotel for the night to collect myself before heading to the pack. I noticed quickly when three guys began to follow me. I led them towards the woods so I could shift if I needed to. They shot me before I could and then I was running for my life. In hindsight, maybe I should have taken Sean up on his offer to send me with a few pack warriors. But I declined him. I didn't want the pack to immediately be on the offensive.

I had heard stories of the Shadow pack. How the original Alpha was defeated some years ago during a challenge and the pack switched hands. Prior to the incident, it seemed that the pack was relatively peaceful. I sighed as the thoughts weighed my mind down. I was anxious to contact Sean so that he would have a warning that Hunters were waiting for me when I got here. Accalia glanced at me as I started to move more. I was restless. I'm not one to normally sit around waiting.