Chapter 58

~~~Ember's POV~~~

"What do you think you're doing?!" I swung around quickly to Jaxson's irritated voice. My eyes widened and I smiled sheepishly at his glare. God he won't let me do anything since he learned I was pregnant. I was currently trying to train Alex more. Key word trying. We have had to sneak off after Sean distracts Jax with something. Granted, I was surprised Sean was even helping. He must have noticed my desperation.

Jax glares at me, his eyes softening as he sees my annoyance. "Baby you're pregnant! You can't keep doing this!"

"I'm pregnant not dying." I roll my eyes. "Jax it won't hurt the baby. I'm not far enough along to be worried about bumps and jolts. You are being a little overprotective."

"I can't help it. This is our first child, and we didn't even think it was possible!" My eyes soften at his words. It's definitely been a blessing to be able to have a child. It was something neither of us thought we would have the privilege of. I know deep down; Jaxson was also disappointed to not be able to have his own pup.

"It's one thing to cut back on strenuous activity but you're not allowing me to do anything!"

"That's not true!" Jax said defensively. I raised my eyebrow, my hands on my hips as I cocked to one side.

"Jaxson, yesterday you would let me carry a pot of stew to the table because it was "to heavy."

"But it was." His voice softened as his lower lip stuck out.

Is he really pouting right now? I shook my head.

"It was like 3 pounds, if that!" We glare at each other. One of us will back down, a hint, it won't be me. Jaxson sighs and his shoulders slump while a grin lights up my face knowing I won.

Alex glanced between the two of us, amusement dancing in his eyes. He points between us. "So, which of you is the adult?" I scoff and roll my eyes.

"Me. Obviously." I grin. Jaxson side eyes me. I'm not sure what his issue is. He's the 25-year-old father-to-be who is pouting. Weirdo.

"Well, we need to get going. Sean can take over for now until we get back." I look at Jaxson questioningly. I didn't know we had anywhere to be. He sees my confusion and smirks, folding his arms across his chest.

"Now who's the adult. Did you really forget today is our first sonogram appointment?" My eyes widen.

"Shit!" I can hear Jaxson's and Alex's laughter as I sprint back home to shower off my sweat. I can't believe I forgot!

We get to the pack doctor on time for our first appointment. I'm currently lying on the table with Jaxson sitting next to me, who is constantly fidgeting. His leg has been bouncing and he alternates looking at my stomach to looking at the door for the doctor.

"Baby you need to relax. You're making me a bit stressed." I place my hand on his bouncing knee to calm him. He huffs out a sigh.

"I'm sorry. I just want to know that you and the baby are healthy. What if something goes wrong?" He glances worriedly at my stomach as his hand reaches up to rub it.

"Everything will be fine. I'm su-" I was interrupted by the doctor coming in.

"Hello. I am Dr. Trejo. Nice to see you guys." We murmured acknowledgments to him as he sat on the stool near me.

He was a little on the scrawny side. Not very muscular. He had glasses perched on the bridge of his nose and had graying hair. Definitely not your average werewolf.

"So. Congratulations. I hear we have some concerns." Jaxson nodded and jumped right in.

"Ember was abused. She had lost her wolf and couldn't heal properly. She had thought she couldn't conceive and had suffered a miscarriage before." I clutched Jaxson's hand at the thought of my unborn child I had lost. He squeezed back, offering his comfort. The doctor looked at us oddly. Most of the pack was not aware of my situation apart from the warriors. Most who had watched me be whipped figured it was a onetime thing.

"I see. How far along were you when you miscarried." The Doctor looks at me.

"I don't know. I didn't know I was pregnant until I was standing in a puddle of blood. After that the person who had imprisoned me told me I aborted purposely and decided to stab and cut my uterus so that I could never conceive again. When Jaxson and I mated I somehow got my wolf back and seem to have healed properly." The doctor nods before rolling the machine near me.

"Ok. An odd case. I've never really heard of a wolf coming back before. I'm truly sorry you had to go through all that. When I look at you, I will also focus on your uterine walls as well, to look for scar tissue." He rolls closer to me on his chair and goes to lift my shirt. I can feel Jaxson tensing but give his hand a squeeze in a silent request for him to behave.

The doctor squirted some gel onto my abdomen and sticks the probe on. Rubbing the gel around, he applies more pressure. Jaxson and I stare at the screen withheld breaths. A large black blob appears in the screen.

"And that," the doctor points to a tiny bean looking blob attached at the top of the bigger black section, " is your baby." A sob bubbles up in my throat, a tear slips from my eye. It's there. I conceived Jaxson's baby and it's right there inside me. I can physically see it. I glance at Jaxson to see him already looking at me in adoration and awe. His own tears streaming down his face.

"Our baby." He squeezes my hand and placed a kiss on my forehead, causing me to close my eyes and smile at his warmth. "Is it ok?" He asks hesitantly.

The doctor smiles and nods. "Yes, Beta Jaxson. All appears normal and I do not see any abnormalities in the uterine walls. You should be able to carry to full term. However, I would advise more frequent visits just to be sure nothing changes." Jaxson nods and we thank the doctor, retrieving the sonogram images before leaving the office.

Jaxson intertwines our fingers as we walk towards the pack house to show off our baby's first picture. His huge grin has not left his face since we left the clinic. I can feel the pure happiness rolling off him. The love he has for both of us brings me to my knees.

He turns to me before we enter the pack house. Wrapping his arms around my form and burying his face into my neck. He inhales my scent and sighs in content.

"I love you, Ember. Thank you for all you have given me." He pulls back to kiss my lips softly and then kneels, pressing his lips against my stomach.

"I love you, little pup. Mommy and I can't wait to meet you."