Chapter 17 - Family Dinner

Joshua frowned, obviously not understanding, until it must've suddenly clicked for him just like it did for me.

I shook my head. "I can't leave. I have my cafe, my family, my house. What am I supposed to do?"

"Wren, I can't leave my pack. I'm going to be the beta in a few months. They're counting on me."

Alpha Kristen seemed to disappear quickly once she understood what was going on. Joshua sighed, pulling us over to a more private area. "Wren, I can't live without you," he said.

"I know, and I don't want you to live without me," I started. "I don't want to live without my mate either, but I have a life, a life that I don't know if I'm ready to uproot just yet."

He ran a hand through his hair. "I understand."

We fell silent after that. What was I going to do? Leave my cafe, my pack, and come live here? It wasn't like Whitewater was bad, but I have everything back home. What about the cafe? I worked my butt off to build it from the ground up and I was finally happy. It'd always been my dream to open one up and I finally had it. Now, was I supposed to start over in a new pack? Or was I expected to do something else? What did being a beta's mate even entail?

We'd been so busy with the fact that we could be together that we didn't even stop to think about what being together actually meant. I knew Joshua couldn't move to my pack; that wouldn't be fair to him or his pack. But, it didn't mean that I was any less unhappy over the fact that I'd have to leave everything I worked so hard for behind. It didn't feel fair. But I would have to if I wanted to be happy with my mate, and I did.

"Joshua, I can't leave my pack yet. I need more time," I finally said.

He nodded slowly. "I think we can do that. Maybe they'll let me stay while you settle anything," he agreed. "But how long? I don't want to overstay my welcome, but I also don't want to rush you."

"Give me a month," I suggested.

Joshua mulled over the idea for a moment before nodding again. "A month... it's a lot, but if it means you'll be ready to move here with me, then I'm okay with it."

He then smiled and squeezed the hand he'd been holding that entire time. "I can't wait."

An idea suddenly came to mind. "You know, maybe we should practice."

"Practice?" He echoed, his brow furrowing.

"Yeah, practice living together. Stay at my place. You don't have to stay in the packhouse anymore since I already know."

I never thought I'd be this bold. Erin had offered that I move in with him in the past, but I always declined for one reason or another. But with Joshua, I was offering for him to live in my home already. I mean, we'd have to live together at some point anyway, so why not start now? It could be fun.

His smile from before widened. "Yeah, I like that idea."

His grin was enough to make me smile as well. "This is still so weird," I admitted.

I'd have to say goodbye to all of my friends, to my family, to my employees. I'd have to figure out what to do with the cafe, pack up my stuff back home, sell the house. There was so much to do in so little time. But knowing that it was all so I could be with my mate was enough to make it worth it. I could do this.

"But, it's weird in a good way, right?" Joshua asked cautiously.

I couldn't help but compare the desperate look on his face to that of a puppy's. He looked so uncertain. How cute. Another bout of courage seized me as I leaned up to peck his cheek. Said cheeks went red as soon as I pulled away. "Yes, of course, it's in a good way," I answered with a small roll of my eyes.