Chapter 23 - Mate Therapy

Joshua

Watching Wren break down in front of me had to be the worst thing that could've happened. It felt like my heart was being ripped from my chest. It easily compared to the pain I'd felt during rejection, except this time, I could hold him. That at least made things a bit easier to manage.

"Wren?" I prompted, waiting for him to explain.

What was going on with him? What was going through that head of his? I wanted so badly to know so I could make it all better. He didn't deserve to be tortured like this. It was all a bit too much. If I felt off-balance, what did Wren feel? All of the stuff happening personally involved him: his pack being attacked, the threat, his parent's revelation, even when we were attacked in the forest.

And I can't help but wonder if I'm causing him any trouble. Am I responsible for some of the tears falling down his red cheeks right now? I didn't want to think that I was. I didn't want to burden him; I wanted to carry his burdens for him. I didn't want to make him cry; I wanted to wipe his tears away.

"Everything is just so much and I don't know what to do," he finally admitted.

I looked at him, but he couldn't look back. I reached out to wipe the tears from his cheeks, brushing away a strand of his hair on the way. "It is a lot," I agreed.

He let out a watery laugh, sniffling after. "I'm sorry I keep doing this."

"Doing what?"

"Breaking down in front of you. This is the second time I've cried in my car with you," he explained.

Right. The last time we were in this position, I chickened out of telling him we were mates. How funny. Not even a week later, we're mated and already planning to move in together. It was so crazy when I thought about it like that. But, I was happy. I finally had my mate, my other half. Wren and I could be happy together. We will be happy together. My chest warmed as I leaned forward, tilting his head up with my hand to kiss his quivering lips. I pulled back after a moment, not wanting to overwhelm him. "It's alright with me. I'll always be here if you need to break down."

"You're too good for me," he said, his eyes filling with tears again.

"No, no, no. You're too good for me. Don't you know how amazing you are, Wren? You're so strong. This is a lot for anyone. The fact that you only just broke down speaks volumes on how amazing you are. I'm so lucky to be yours."

Wren shook his head. "You're just saying that because you're my mate."

"But isn't that enough?" I asked softly. "I am your mate. It's my job to care for you. How could I not?"

He glanced at me, his face almost too sad for me to face. What could I do to convince him? What could make him forget about his troubles for just a minute? Just one moment of peace; he deserved that much. An idea suddenly popped into my head, and a smile broke out on my face. Wren looked at me quizzically, probably wondering if I'd gone insane.

I unbuckled my seatbelt, opening the door. "Joshua?" Wren called out as I closed the door.

I walked around to his side and Wren turned off the car, opening his door to face me. "What are you doing?"

Grabbing his hand, I pulled him out of the car. "We're going on a run."

"What? Joshua, now isn't the time to-"

"No, Wren. It's a perfect time. You need a distraction and our wolves need to finally meet each other. What would you do anyway? You're obviously not ready to talk with Aaron or Alpha James, and most certainly anyone else. It's the best time."