Chapter 22 - Parent Confrontation

Turns out I wasn't able to get much sleep. I mean, I kind of suspected that I wouldn't be able to sleep after the conversation we just had. It was utterly ridiculous. At this point, I wondered where my life decided to become so crazy. A few weeks ago, I was just a cafe owner with a boyfriend and a normal life. I didn't have to worry about strange nightmares, rogue attacks, and cryptic messages. Not to mention, I didn't have to worry about my relationship with said boyfriend... or ex-boyfriend, now.

At least I had Joshua in this whole thing. He was the only thing keeping me sane, which is why I clung to him as we drove to my parent's house early in the morning. My hand was tightly gripped in his as I drove. Holding his hand had become my lifeline. He was just so comforting and grounding. Just a simple smile from him was enough to feel at ease, and I know it wasn't just because we were mates. Joshua was naturally a very calming person. Maybe it came with being a beta; Aaron was the peacemaker of our group and he was a beta, too.

"It's going to be okay. If Alpha James thinks they'll know what's going on, then we should trust him. And I'll be right there the whole time."

I gave a small nod as we drove up a very familiar driveway. At least, for me it was familiar. It quickly dawned on me as we got out of the car that this would be the first time my parents officially met Joshua as my mate. A small bubble of anger welled inside of me. Why couldn't things have been normal for us?

Why was it that we had to meet each other's families under such horrible circumstances? First I got hurt so we went to Joshua's pack, and now we had to confront my parents about something that might explain the nonsense Aaron was spewing a few hours ago. Why was it that I had to find my mate in such a weird way? Why was it that I hadn't even found the time to talk with Erin about our relationship so we could finally have some closure? It was all so frustrating and I worried Joshua and I were rushing. I worried that the only reason why we were working so well despite just mating was because we were in the middle of a troublesome period for all of us. Were we just clinging to each other because we needed to? Or was it our genuine bond?

A warm hand on my face drew my attention to the man in front of me. "Wren, what's wrong? You look worried."

I sighed, shaking my head. He didn't need to carry my worries; he didn't deserve to be burdened like that. "It's nothing."

Before he could push me any further, I added, "We should head inside."

Joshua remained silent and nodded slowly, letting his hand slip from my face to slide into mine. I pulled him to the front door, knocking on it after a split second of hesitation. The door opened not even a minute later to reveal my mom.

"Oh, Wren! What brings you here, honey?" My mom asked, a small frown forming on her face when she noticed Joshua.

Her eyes slid down to our conjoined hands and realization dawned across her face. "Great Goddess, is this...?"

I nodded, a tight smile on my face. "Yeah, this is Joshua. He's my mate."

I was surprised when tears began to pool in the corners of my mother's eyes before she was rushing to hug us. "My baby found his mate. I-I'm so happy. Wait, come inside, come inside. Miguel needs to hear the good news!"

By her surprise, I guess they hadn't seen Joshua and I walk into the packhouse together. Or if they did, it didn't click. We were all under the impression that I'd likely never find my mate, after all. It must be as much of a shock to them as it was to me.

My mother pulled us into the house, dragging us to the blue couch of my childhood. "Would you two like anything to eat? Drink?"

"No, Mom. Actually, can you get Papa? We need to talk with you both."