17 | Detention

Chapter Seventeen: Detention

Jason walks into a convenience store after school with the intent of buying potato chips. He's craving it seriously bad and there's none at home. He gets two packs.

"Hi," a girlish voice says behind him. He turns around to see a blonde girl smiling at him.

"Hey," Jason replies, returning the smile. She looks familiar. Very familiar, so he's trying to pinpoint where he knows her from.

"Jason, right?" She asks.

"Yeah," he looks at her thoughtfully before it clicks.

Party, Chris, Piper.

"You're Piper," he mutters.

"Uh huh," her smile widens, happy to know that he finally recognizes her.

It's a surprise to her that she didn't know him before and he is the best friend of the infamous Christopher Hayes she has been after.

"How are you?" He inquires.

"I'm good. You?"

"Good too," Jason replies, shrugging.

"Thanks for the other day," she smiles, appreciating him.

"It was no big deal. You're welcome," she shrugs again.

"Chris asked about you the next day and he's really sorry," he adds.

"Oh. How's he?" Piper asks, absentmindedly touching things on the shelves.

"He's fine. I saw him in school today," Jason answers.

"Cool," she mumbles then thinks for a few seconds. "Do you mind giving me his phone number?"

"Uhm..sure," Jason agrees and gives her Chris's number.

He hopes Chris wouldn't mind.

"Thanks. I'll call him later," she announces and Jason nods.

They stay awkwardly for a minute without saying anything to each other.

"I have to get going. It was nice seeing you, Piper." He beams as he backs away slowly.

"You too, Jason." She smiles, watching him pay at the counter before leaving the store.

She turns around to get back to business. She finds herself smiling and replaying their conversation in her head.

Hey, wait, why is she smiling?

She has no idea.

About thirty minutes later, Piper is seated in her room as she dials Christopher's number. It rings continuously before he finally answers.

"Hello?" His hot voice sounds in confusion.

"Hey, Chris. It's Piper speaking?" She tells him.

"Piper. Like Piper from the party?" He asks in shock. He begins to wonder how she got his number.

"Yup. That's me."

"How did you get my number?"

"I ran into Jason and got it from him. Hope you don't mind."

"Oh," he pauses. He won't mind if she isn't planning to give him endless calls and send him a thousand messages. But if she does, he's gonna kill Jason.

"It's okay. I'm sorry about the other night. I had to leave early," he tells her.

"No probs. Jason told me," she says.

"Hope you're not mad at me," he says into the phone. He doesn't know why but he doesn't want her to be mad at him.

"I'm not mad at you, Chris." She rolls her eyes but smiles.