27 | Old Lady

Chapter Twenty Seven: Old Lady

"Thanks for the ride," Stephanie says to Brooke as she alights in front of Chris' house.

"You're welcome. Say hi to Chris," Brooke replies and drives away.

Stephanie walks onto the porch and rings the doorbell. Kate opens the door with a huge smile on her face.

"Stephanie, welcome. Come on in," she opens the door wider for her to come in.

"Thank you."

"How are you? Your family? Everything?" Kate asks with a beam.

"Great. Everything's going great."

Ever since Steph first babysat Emily, Kate has been acting all nice and extra sweet to her and it's kinda strange to her.

"That's good to hear," she smiles before yelling, "Emily, Stephanie's here."

"Really?" Emily's voice sounds for upstairs. Some seconds later, she's running down the stairs and jumps into Steph's arms.

Kate smiles at the sight. Emily likes her babysitter who would most likely end up being Christopher's girlfriend.

"Stephanie!" Emily giggles.

"Emily!" Steph smiles and squeezes both her cheeks playfully.

"Okay let me get my handbag and leave you two to it," Kate tells them and walks away.

Emily pulls Steph by her hand and makes her sit on the couch before settling beside her.

"Can you help my with my maths homework?"

"Sure. Go and get it," Steph smiles.

"Yay," Emily says and runs upstairs.
She comes back down with her cute Frozen backpack.

Steph chuckles. "You really like Frozen, don't you?"

"I do," Emily answers as she brings out her math homework from her backpack.

"Okay girls. I'm heading out but I'll probably be back soon. Emily be on your best behaviour, okay?" Kate says as she walks back into the living room.

"Okay mum. Bye."

"See you later, Stephanie." Kate tells her and walks out of the house.

"Let's begin, shall we?" Steph begins to help Emily with her homework.

***

About an hour and thirty minutes after school ended, Chris heads home after having a quick chat with Jason. He parks his car with a smile on his face when he gets home.

Hazel is in the house.
The thought alone makes him happy.
Emily's in too.

He walks into the house and finds them on their usual spot on one of the couches. Emily turns around at the sound of the door and smiles at the sight of her big brother.

"Chris. Welcome back," Emily says but doesn't move to give him a hug. And Chris finds it strange.

"Steph helped me with my homework," Emily tells him, still at the same position on the couch.

"Wow! Less work for me then," Chris says in a casual tone. Then he acknowledges Stephanie.

"Hazel," he nods at her.

"How was practice?" She asks.

"Normal," Chris shrugs. He stops himself from smiling at the fact that she asked him about practice. "Thanks for helping Em with her homework."

"It was nothing," Steph remarks.

Chris smiles and heads into the kitchen.
"Would you like something to drink, Hazel?" He asks.