23 | Debbie Downers

Chapter Twenty Three: Debbie Downers

It's Saturday morning and Stephanie is getting ready for her outing with the guys after having breakfast with her parents.
Just as she's looking through her closet for what to wear, her phone rings. It's a video call from Brody.
She picks her phone from the bed and sees the caller ID.
To say she's surprised would be an understatement. This is the first time that Brody is calling her in a while. He texts once in a while but barely calls.

When she calls, he's usually too busy to answer or something. The last time they spoke on phone was on Monday, six days ago and she was lucky that he answered. Now he's calling her and it's barely been a week.
She swipes across the screen to answer with a grin on her face.
His face appears on the screen.

"Hello Stephanie," he greets with a grin of his own.

"And to what do I owe this august call?" She asks suspiciously. "And not just any call - a video call."

"Just decided I wanted to see my little sister's face cause I miss her. Is that a crime?" He asks with a full on grin.

"Why don't I believe you?" Steph asks incredulously, fighting back the smile that wants to appear on her face.

"I've changed Steph. I'll make time for you now," Brody fails his attempt at the puppy dog eyes thing.

Steph laughs. "Yeah, yeah. What's up?"

"How are you?"

"I'm good. You?" She responds, looking away from the screen to her closet.

"I'm great, awesome, elated." He exclaims.

Steph's eyes return to the screen and she narrows them at her brother's reply.

"Okay," she drags the word. "What's going on?"

Brody notices that she is doing something else so she isn't totally concentrating on him.

"Are you busy?" He inquires.

"Not really," she shrugs. "I'm just looking for an outfit to wear out today."

"You're going out?" Brody gapes, not quite believing it.

"Yeah," Steph answers absentmindedly.

"With Brooke?" He guesses.

"Yeah. It was supposed to be she and Cole only but they insisted that Luke and I come along just because they do not want to admit they're going on a date," she explains to him. She walks away from her closet and sits on her bed.

"So Brooke has a boyfriend now and who's Luke?" Brody probes.

Steph rolls her eyes at the screen.
"No Brooke doesn't have a boyfriend yet but I'm pretty sure she'll be dating Cole soon. I can see it already. And Luke? Luke is in my grade. A very cool and good looking guy."

Brody wiggles his eyebrows suggestively. "And very soon you'll be dating Luke."

"Impossible," Steph huffs.

"Why?"

"He's poison Ivy's boyfriend," she deadpans.

Brody winces. "Ouch. She still has a boyfriend. Jheeze! They must have a lot in common."

"They don't actually. Poison Ivy is you know- herself, but Luke is a very nice guy. I don't think they have anything in common," Steph says promptly.

"Then she must be blackmailing him," he speculates.

"I doubt that."

"Why else would he be dating her?" He asks in confusion.