31: The Protector

Yoongi bounced Beomgyu in his arms and watched as the doctor disinfected the last of Jungkook's cuts, and bandaged the gash between his shoulder and chest.

"There. That should be the last of them," the doctor backed up and threw away his latex gloves.

"Thank you," Jungkook stretched.

"Careful," the doctor warned. "Moving around too much might reopen your shoulder wound."

Jungkook put his arms down. "Okay," he sighed.

"Don't be all heartbroken about it," the doctor laughed. "It's not a major injury. You'll live."

"I know," Jungkook scoffed. "That's all, you can go back to bed now."

The doctor bowed and left the room.

"Ready to go to bed?" Yoongi asked. "It's like 3 in the morning."

"Yeah," Jungkook rubbed a hand over his face, standing up. "Is Beomgyu okay?"

Yoongi nodded. "He's fine. He stopped crying not long after I started holding him. There's no scratches or bruises, so that's good. And as far as I know, he's too young to be traumatized and remember this."

"That's good," Jungkook walked to the door with Yoongi and stopped him with a hand around his waist. "What about you? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Yoongi replied. "I got my baby back, and I'm not the one who got all beat up."

"Hey," Jungkook laughed, opening the door and guiding Yoongi into the hallway. "I wasn't getting beaten up. I was winning."

"Sure," Yoongi smiled and rolled his eyes. "Tell that to the big scar you're going to have on your chest."

Jungkook laughed uneasily and looked away. He hoped the scratch wouldn't become a scar, because he knew Yoongi liked to run his hands over Jungkook's smooth skin, and he was worried it would make him look less attractive.

Yoongi didn't notice the worried look on Jungkook's face as they walked back to their room. Once they got there, they entered their room and Yoongi put Beomgyu in the crib while Jungkook showered and changed into pajamas.

Yoongi crawled into bed and waited for Jungkook to join him. Jungkook finally finished getting ready after a few minutes. It had taken him longer because he had to be careful with all of his bandages.

As soon as Jungkook was under the covers, Yoongi scooted over to him and clung onto him like a koala. Yoongi laid his head on Jungkook's chest and sighed happily.

This is how it was supposed to be. Baby safe in the crib, and Jungkook right next to him on the bed, always ready to cuddle.

"Goodnight, puppy."

"Goodnight, kitten."

~~~~~

A few weeks had passed and the two got back into their normal routine. Jungkook's wounds had all healed up, except for the bigger scratch on his chest that was wrapped in a bandage.

Jungkook stood alone with the doctor in the medical room, waiting for the doctor to take off the bandage and check on its progress.

The doctor slowly took it off, careful not to take any new growing skin with it. When it was off, he threw it away and examined Jungkook's chest.

"It looks like it's all healed up this time."

Jungkook glanced down at his chest. "Are you sure? It still looks like a problem to me."

The doctor shook his head. "No, it's fine. That's just a small scar."

Jungkook's heart dropped. "Oh. Okay."