Chapter Seven

AS SOON AS HE'D SAID it and seen the look on Liam's face, he knew he'd made a mistake

AS SOON AS HE'D SAID it and seen the look on Liam's face, he knew he'd made a mistake. Liam's mouth was wide open in amazement, just like his eyes.

"Dude!" he exclaimed. "Why are you only tellin' me now you have a date?"

Darren rushed to correct him. "It's not a date."

"Dakota wanna go out with you," Liam said. "That's the textbook definition of a date." Before Darren could say any more, Liam turned his head and yelled, "Aimee, Darren has a date!"

Darren sighed, but Aimee came rushing out of her room. "With Dakota?" she shrieked. When Liam grinned, she started jumping up and down and grabbed Darren by his upper arm. "When is it?"

"Tonight," Darren muttered.

"He's leaving in twenty minutes," Liam added.

Aimee's eyes widened. "Twenty minutes?" She looked him up and down. "You ain't telling me you want to leave like this, right?"

Darren looked at his outfit too, but didn't see an issue. It was what he'd worn all day. "What's wrong with this?"

She rolled her eyes. "You are such a man." She nudged Liam in the side. "Big brother, we're gonna have to fix this."

Liam grinned in agreement.

Adelaide stumbled into the living room, and when she saw the looks on her children's faces, she asked suspiciously, "What's going on?"

Aimee had a broad smile that showed off her perfectly white teeth, and her dark skin made it look even brighter. "Darren has a date."

Adelaide's jaw dropped. "No." She turned to Darren. "Really?"

"It's not a date," he mumbled again, but his words got lost in the cheers of the McCosta family.

"I never got a date that quickly," Adelaide laughed. "He's only been here four days!"

Darren blushed.

"But mom," Aimee said to Adelaide, "don't you agree that he has to wear something else?"

"You wanted to wear this?" Adelaide asked. Her eyes were wide open and she held one finger up in the air. "No, no, no, boy. Not on a date."

"But it's not–"

"Do you have anything else than a polo?" she asked.

He couldn't wear polos at all? It was what his wardrobe was full of!

"Liam, maybe you have something he can wear," Adelaide said.

Liam frowned. "You know I'm two sizes bigger than him, right?" He flexed his biceps. "It's all those muscles."

"Don't be a jerk," Aimee said, pushing his arm away that blocked her sight.

"You might have some old clothes," Adelaide said. "And isn't the oversized look in right now?"