Chapter Seventeen

TWO DAYS HAD GONE BY since Superhero Day, although the memory still lingered

TWO DAYS HAD GONE BY since Superhero Day, although the memory still lingered. Darren was afraid that seeing the fifty-year-old Mr. K dressed as the Hulk – painted all green and not wearing a shirt, but the teacher was missing the muscles characteristic of the Hulk and instead had lots of chest hair on display – would be something that he wouldn't be able to get off his mind for a long time. What he also didn't miss about Superhero Day was the never-ending discussion of whether Marvel or DC was better. To Darren, both of them were comic producers that dressed up male and female characters in tight clothes and gave them superpowers.

However, as much fun as Superhero Day had been and as nice it was to see everyone relax and dress up, Darren was reminded of how quickly the deadline for his application was approaching the next day. He had decided to spend every minute he could spare on it and hoped that would be enough to get the application to perfection in a week. So, when he had a free period that next Wednesday, he threw himself onto his application, so much so that he didn't notice a certain light-haired, pale-skinned girl in a bright yellow and blue denim outfit approaching.

"Hey, Darren."

His heart skipped a beat and he froze. The girl sat down on the table he was sitting at on the opposite side.

He took a breath of relief when he saw it was Dakota. "Can you ever not sneak up on people but greet them normally?" He sighed, but he calmed his heart knowing that it was Dakota. Of all people at this school besides Nova, he wouldn't mind being interrupted by Dakota during his free period. Apparently, she had some time to spare too.

"How do people greet each other usually?" she asked, but then she shrugged, as if she didn't want that question to be answered. "It's more fun to sneak up on people, anyway." She leaned forward on her elbows to get a look at what Darren was doing.

"It's only fun for you," Darren mumbled. He put his pen to paper again and his eyes searched for where he'd left off.

"What'cha doing?" Dakota asked.

He didn't look up. "Working on my application."

Her mouth formed an O-shape. "What is this, then?" she asked, without stopping to try to catch sight of the words on paper.

"The essay."

"Can I read it?"

He lifted his head and looked at her. She stared back at him with wide-open, curious eyes. "You wouldn't like it, anyway," he said.

She shrugged. "I don't like it when I have to read stuff that is all serious, but I just asked you if I could read it, didn't I?"

"It's not done yet."

She thought for a second as she glanced at the pages again. "It looks done."

"It's not," he said again. "I'm having word count issues, so I'm reading it back to see where I can cut back."