Chapter Twenty-Seven

"REMIND ME WHY WE DOIN' this again," Liam groaned

"REMIND ME WHY WE DOIN' this again," Liam groaned. He let himself fall back defeatedly in his chair and sighed.

"To learn how to walk," the voice of instructor at the revalidation center said from a distance. She squatted down to help a woman on crutches next to Liam, who was already a few steps ahead in her journey to walk independently. While she could stand upright with the help of crutches, Liam couldn't, and he trusted Darren to keep him up. Meanwhile, Darren was crumbling underneath the weight of the former football player every time he tried to lift him up. The leg press Liam was on now was a much-needed break for Darren.

"You need to build some strength into your leg muscles again," Darren said quietly.

"My muscles are strong enough," Liam protested. He didn't like to be called weak, especially not if it concerned the legs he'd been winning many football games with.

"Your muscles are breaking off because you're not using them," Darren said. "These exercises will make sure that your legs can still carry your body once you're ready to walk again."

Liam grumbled. "I ain't weak." To support that statement, he upped the weight on the leg press with five more pounds and started pressing again. Darren saw him wince in pain, but on willpower, Liam carried on.

"Let me adjust the weight," Darren offered, and he leaned forward.

"It only twenty pounds, I can take it," Liam said. He didn't stop pressing, and because he was in motion, Darren couldn't take off any weight.

"Liam, please."

"I used to do two hundred pounds on this thing, easy. At my best, I did two hundred and seventy-five."

Darren sighed, and he knew he shouldn't say his next words if he didn't want to hurt Liam, but he did it anyway. "You're not at your best anymore."

Liam winced again, and his eyes met Darren's. Then, he stopped fighting, and his legs gave in. With a loud thud, the rolling chair he was sitting in came to a halt.

"Thank you," Darren said. He didn't look at Liam again as he got rid of the five pounds Liam had just added. Liam followed Darren's movements with a blank stare.

"Darren!" From behind him, the same female instructor from just now showed up. "Do you want to take Liam to the bars?" She pointed at two bars. "I want to see if he's made any progress since last time and if the home exercises have been helping."

Darren turned to Liam. With his eyes, he asked, Home exercises? He hadn't seen Liam do any exercises at home to speed up his recovery.

Liam just shrugged and motioned Darren to answer. As Darren replied positively, Liam rolled his eyes, thinking to himself that he didn't have any say in the matter of what he was going to do.

"Let me help you take him there," the instructor said.

Darren rolled Liam's wheelchair over and put it next to the leg press, and the instructor picked Liam up. Once Liam sat in the chair, Darren wheeled him over to the two bars on the other side of the room, maneuvering him between the other people exercising.