34 ⚔️ Her Absence

- Zhijian -

He was confused.

Ever since the night that he spent with Xiaoyu at the courtesan house, something between them had changed – one which he couldn't quite put into words.

She was an innocent, bewitching beauty with no understanding of the power she possessed over men, especially him. He remembered her lying beneath him, looking all vulnerable, and how the sweet scent of her hair flooded his senses. He relished in the feel of her body against his and realised he enjoyed it more than he should.

He had only hoped that she didn't notice how fast his heart was beating.

After completing the mission, the pair made it back to the manor and he was soon summoned by his adoptive father.

"Zhijian."

"Yes?"

Leader Xu set his cup of tea on the table, regarding him with a contemplative eye. "I understand that the curse in the soulmate bond is forcing you to be in contact with the Demoness, but I hope you will keep your distance from her. Emotionally."

Zhijian froze. He stared wide-eyed at his father and opened his mouth to speak, but only to find himself unable to form any words.

What exactly did he want to say?

That after spending time together and learning the little things about Xiaoyu, his prideful heart realised that he might not want to stay away from her?

Sensing his hesitance, Leader Xu sighed softly. "I see the way you look at the girl, and I understand it may be because of the soulmate connection. But please, restrain your feelings. She is no good for you in this lifetime."

Those words riled Zhijian and his hands clenched into fists by his sides.

"Has it ever crossed your mind that she might be innocent?" he spoke quietly. "That the cause of the massacre from twenty years ago may not be entirely her fault? That the Jiang clan might not have been truthful with their words when they shared their tragic story to the rest of the world?"

Leader Xu simply frowned, but remained unfazed. "Is this what the Demoness told you? That she's innocent?"

When his son remained silent, he continued on. "You didn't see it with your own eyes, and yet, you believe her words that easily?"

"She's not the type to hurt people," Zhijian refuted quickly. "You've seen the way she acts around us. If she wishes to harm any of us, she would have done so by now."

The older man shook his head in disapproval. "Enough, Zhijian. Even if she has done nothing wrong, we can't go up against the Jiang clan. They have far more people on their side and it will be best for us not to go against them. Dealing with demons is tiresome enough, but to start a war against another clan? She's not worth it."

"Heed my advice, my child." Leader Xu's voice was firm, but gentle. "I don't want to see you get hurt."

Ever since their conversation, Zhijian avoided him unless necessary. He understood his godfather's worries and knew that he was a wise man that would always make decisions for the best of everybody's interests.