10.

A/N:

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to take this time to thank you all for your support. It really means the world to me. I appreciate each and every single one of you. You guys are awesome❤️.

Thank you soooo much☺️

2020/07/24

No. 3 #southafrica

Two hours had gone since my argument with Sindi and we were giving each other the silent treatment. I proceeded to complete my homework while Nyakallo kept herself busy by colouring in her colouring book and organizing her collection of stickers in her flip file. She was quiet for most of the afternoon and I had actually forgotten that she was in the room with me.

After battling through my homework I was finally done. It wasn't like the homework was difficult or anything, it was the sound of Sindi's voice and how she said that I was acting as if my mother didn't exist. Her voice was running circles in my head, taunting me and leaving me confused.

Is that what people think?

The thought that people thought that I was behaving as if my own mother didn't exist made chills run through my whole body. I needed fresh air. I needed to get out of this house and clear my mind.

"Want a snack?" I asked Nyakallo and she eagerly nodded. I left the room and went into our room, got my money and left.

 Glad I didn't cross paths with Sindi.

I led Nyakallo out the door and out the gate we went into the vibrant yet dusty street in the middle of the township that I called 'home'.

I held Nyakallo's hand who was hesitant at first. Complaining that she was a 'Big Girl' and didn't need her hand to be held but after much convincing, and by much convincing I mean telling her that she's only a 'Big Girl' once she could tell me what number is between 14 and 16, because kids always seem to get it wrong, then she wasn't a "Big Girl" yet.

Nyakallo was actually quite the talker. She went on and on about how excited she was for 'Big School' next year because she would make friends and learn. That conversation reminded me of the conversation that I had with my mother when I was about Nyakallo's age and how nervous I was for school, scared that I wouldn't do good like the other kids.

Damn, I've always been worried about academics.

We arrived at Bra Sam's Spaza Shop and I asked Nyakallo what she wanted. After what felt like ages of her deciding on what she wanted she opted for a lollipop and a packet of chips twice the size of her hands. I want for my usual skopas and that was it.

As I was about to give Bra Sam the money someone placed a R20 note on the counter and I voice that said "It's cool Bra Sam I've got them covered"

Furious by this person's actions, this man behaving as if I didn't have my own money to spend I turned around to confront him.

Once I saw who it was I felt each and every single nerve in my body jump before going cold.

Luniko.

"Hey, make sure you don't finish those all at once" he told Nyakallo before his eyes met mine. My body went stiff and I was shocked at the person standing in front of me. This man who was standing in front of me was taller, darker and more muscular than the boy I grew up with.

"Hi" he said with a smile that brought back so many childhood memories. A smile I didn't realize I missed.

"Hey?!" I said, my voice sounding raspy and nervous.