A Confession

The tears came soon after.

I know, I know. I was doing a lot of crying, but I had an excuse! Truth be told, I hadn't been sleeping either. After everything that had happened, I vowed to keep a closer eye on our current social pariah, even if he'd calmed down some after the vest he'd been given, I knew Arturo wouldn't give up so easily.

Besides, I was just so exhausted, I was physically and emotionally drained. When Sergio had approached me with his proposal, I had immediately accepted, thinking of all the millions of euros I'd soon be spending. If only someone would have had told me everything that I'd have to suffer through, I think I'd have reconsidered saying yes.

I brushed my teeth thoroughly, wondering if I should risk giving Sergio a call and telling him just what his darling older brother was planning to do with Ariadna. I knew Sergio had not been consulted before an invitation had been extended to her.

I snuck back to the office, deciding that telling our Professor what was going on was worth whatever punishment Berlin would give me, only to come across the last person I wanted to see at that moment.

Rio was curled into the couch, drinking heartily from a wine bottle, looking as pathetic as a kicked puppy.

I looked around the room, but it was empty, sighing, I decided to change my course of action.

"Can I join you?" I asked him softly, approaching him the way one would approach any skittish animal.

He looked up at me, eyes glassy, indicating he'd already drunk more than enough of the bottle. "Yes." He finally answered, patting the space next to him roughly.

I took a seat, taking in the dark circles under his eyes and the redness of his face. He'd been crying then. I couldn't blame him, after everything that had happened in the last couple of hours, I'm sure he'd gotten a good reaming from everyone, especially Denver.

"I'm sorry about that." He whispered suddenly, fingers gently tracing the outline of the vivid bruise on my face. I shrugged, he hadn't been the one to hit me. Besides, I was over it already. It would heal soon enough.

"Well I'm sorry about Tokyo." I knocked my shoulder with his gently. Despite what she'd done, I knew he missed her desperately, and though I most definitely agreed with what Berlin had in turn, done to her, I also knew the pain of missing someone you loved.

He shook his head, waving his hand in the air lazily, "It's fine, she's waiting for me outside, once this is all over we'll be together again."

I smiled at his innocence.

"I'm sure she will." I acquiesced. Let the boy have his hope, he needed it if we wanted him with us.

He took a large swig of the bottle, before handing it over to me, a clear invitation. "What about you? You got anyone waiting for you on the outside?"

I took a long drink, debating whether to tell him the truth or not. "...Yes." It was a lie, of course, though I had toyed with the idea of returning to see Martin, I hadn't actually made plans to.

His eyes grew bright, "What's he like?"

I didn't know if answering that question was a good idea, but in the end I decided to humor him. He was drunk enough to forget this anyway. Or so I hoped.

Besides, this would serve as a revenge of sorts, for the as of yet unannounced observer who was currently watching us from the shadows. "He's... magnetic. Electric. So, so handsome, and above all he's kind, but honestly, the thing I miss most are his eyes." There. That was vague enough while also managing to get my point across, right?

"Sounds like he's quite the catch. Will I ever get to meet him?" Rio asked, blinking at me.

"I sincerely hope not."

"Oh." He cocked his head before asking, "Why?" I smiled at him, for being so smart when it came to technology, Rio was also very naive in other aspects.

"If everything goes according to plan, we'll never see each other again. Any of us. If you ever do meet him, well, that will mean something has gone wrong, won't it?" It was the truth. Whatever ties we had connecting us all right now, would soon be cut, for everyone's safety.

He looked down sadly, as he took another drink. "I guess."

The room was silent for a moment, before Rio opened his mouth again, "So why was Tokyo convinced that you had a thing with Berlin?"

"Who knows? She saw something that simply wasn't there. Though I will tell you this, the man I described to you?" I leaned in conspiratorially, and Rio did the same. The shadow moved slightly closer, and I bit my lip to stop the grin, "He's Berlin's best friend."

///

"You've invited her to come with us." I stated flatly, daring him to deny it. He didn't, tilting his chin up in that oh so haughty way I hated (loved) as he leaned back in his chair.

"I did yes, and I'm going to propose as soon as we're out of here."

Whatever I had been expecting, it was not that. I felt myself sink into the chair in front of him, of course. "I take it things didn't turn out well with Tatiana then?" A dark look flashed across his face at the mention of his previous wife, before he replied curly, "No."

"Shame." I tapped my fingers on the desk before me, already planning what I'd be telling Sergio. One thing was Berlin having his fun with her while we were trapped inside, another was taking her with us once we managed to escape. She was a liability, did Andrés not understand that?

"I can't imagine you're too upset about it." His voice brought me back from my musings. "Be honest. You never liked her, did you?" His eyes were dark as he searched my face, but I was good at this now, a better liar than what I had been all those years ago. Honestly, anybody with two eyes could have seen just how much I disliked Tatiana. So what? Even Sergio didn't like her, and Sergio tended to like everyone, despite his introverted nature.

"Don't tell me you took it personally? You know I don't like anyone." I asked, tilting my head as I observed him.

"Hmm, but that's a lie, isn't it? You certainly like Martin well enough." His tone was cold, but I could detect something hidden underneath it, he'd definitely heard my conversation with Rio then.

I shrugged, keeping my face carefully blank. "That's certainly not any of your business." How could he even compare Martin to Tatiana? They were worlds apart.

"Why were you so eager to leave him then? And without even a kiss of goodbye..." He trailed off, biting the tip of his finger as he put his feet back up on the chair, daring me to make my move.

I smiled at him. "Not that it's any concern of yours, but I gave Martin more than a simple kiss before leaving." I let the implications hang in the air, and Berlin's nostrils flared, as he suddenly sat up, feet landing on the floor with a dull thud.

"You..." I waited for him to finish his sentence, but when I realized he wasn't going to, I continued.

"Yes. I did. And dare I say it, it was the best night of my life. I'm honestly glad I waited for the right man." I stood up then, flouncing out of the room, not once looking back.

I felt lighter than I had in years.

///

What did you think? Comments make me update faster! ❤️