issue twenty-second: whispers in town

I fell asleep snuggled into Wilder's warmth.

"Morning, Aurora."

I had barely opened my eyes, trying to hold on to his warmth for as long as possible when his sexy, drowsy voice broke through my reverie. I moved a little away from him, feeling my cheeks burning. "Morning," I muttered, quickly turning away from him lest he smelled my morning breath.

He chuckled. "You're drooling, nugget."

Of course, I was. 

Fuck my life.

I rose to my feet and without a word ran to the restroom as I heard him laugh behind me. I walked into the men's restroom which consisted of three cubicles and a long row of sinks set on the other side with a mirror that threw the entire wall into view. I went and stood in front of the sink, leaning over it and scowled. Why did I always look so woebegone when I was with him? Next to his supermodel self I probably looked like...a roadkill rat.

The thought of his jab made me smile in spite of myself and I washed my face, rinsing my mouth thoroughly in case he decided to kiss Aurora. Even though my eyes looked a little dead and sunken, I was feeling much better. Sleeping half on the floor and snuggling against Wilder had been more comfortable than I expected. I vaguely wondered if this was something that Kendra always experienced. However, the thought made the envious snake in my stomach spew venom and I quickly shut it down. 

I walked back out and saw Wilder, now on his feet, leaning against the wall looking illegally gorgeous. How the fuck was this even possible? There was no fucking way that I was going to believe that Wilder Collins woke up looking like that. I amused myself silently with the idea of him quickly waking up and hurriedly washing and flossing before he came and sat beside me again, pretending to sleep.

He smiled at me and stretched out a hand as if for me to take. I took it without hesitation, my heart warm. He had spent the entire night with me so that I would have company. Did he do that for everyone? For me, it had felt like an unofficial date. 

He led me to the reception where we were told to wait. After a few minutes of nervous fidgeting, a nurse walked towards us with a kind smile, she held Arfie by his collar. My heart jolted at the sight of him. He looked a little exhausted and somewhat thinner, but apart from that, his tail was wagging (albeit slower), his eyes twinkled, his tongue lolling out as he gazed at me. 

He started straining against his collar and whining softly, reaching for me. I quickly walked over to him and crouched in front, my heart full.

"Hey...hey, boy!" I gently scratched his ears as the nurse finally released him, smiling genially. He crawled into my arms and lay there, panting happily. As if assuring me that he was alright. I held him close, revelling in the familiar warmth and softness that I had been so terrified of losing. 

"You're...such a food slut. You eating bottle caps now?" I whispered in a shaky voice. He glanced up at me and started licking my face until I was laughing and crying at the same time. After he had settled down and I had commanded him to sit and be silent, I got to my feet, rubbing my face and eyes. 

"He needs to lay off strenuous physical exercise for a while, and a follow up a week and a half from now should do the trick," the nurse said, smiling. 

"Thank you," I replied, feeling more grateful than I ever had of anything. She nodded and left.

"Do you want to go get some coffee?" Wilder asked, his eyes swimming with concern. "You have had quite the night." He gently stroked Arfie's head, caressing him tenderly. Arfie wagged his tail slowly and I found myself staring at the scene. Somehow, any time he was being kind and playful with Arfie, my heart broke into a chorus. 

I took a deep breath and spoke, "Yeah, that sounds nice."

I completed the paperwork quickly. Wilder and I left the hospital with a slow but happy Arfie tailing behind us. We walked leisurely along the pavement. I took deep breaths, feeling doubly fond of everything. The golden sun rays seemed to be brighter, the emerald in the trees lusher, the wind seemed to caress my cheeks in ardour.

I was very aware of how close we were walking, our arms almost touching. His fingers brushed against the back of my hand and for a while, I was astounded how the little contact sent a spark through my heart. I wondered vaguely if I should reach out for his hand and grab it. Would he refuse? 

Only one way to find out.

Slowly, I placed my fingers on top of his hand, rubbing my thumb along the base of his. I hoped he would reach for it. However, his phone rang and he had to reach for his pocket instead as my heart jolted and I cursed under my breath. Would he have grabbed my hand? I would never know. Was this going to remain another unsolved mystery?

"Yeah. No...we just left," he spoke softly. I wasn't sure if I was imagining it, but there seemed to be a rough edge to his voice as he spoke. He sighed softly, raking a hand through his hair. His brows furrowed in anxiety that made my stomach turn nervously. I watched, bewildered as he bit his lip, his eyes flitting to me before he took an inconspicuous, but deliberate step away from me.

My breath caught in my throat, a heavy weight dropping down my stomach. There he was again, with his constant tossing me around. 

He hung up after a while and an awkward silence fell. The sole noises were those of Arfie prancing happily and the gentle breeze. My chest felt suddenly cold.

"Um...we're here-" he said, his voice slightly shaky. I stood still and gazed at him. He averted my eyes, biting his lip nervously.  

"It's okay. I should just go home," I said in a voice which I hoped seemed nonchalant.

He glanced at me, the unseen agony back in his irises. Was there any point of asking him? I wasn't sure. I didn't know which Wilder was pretending now. The one that was so tender and caring or the one in front of me who seemed to be ashamed to be seen with me.

"No, It's ok-" he began earnestly.

"No," I cut him off, feeling suddenly angry at everything. "Let's just g-"

I stuttered to a stop when I spotted a familiar car about two hundred metres away from us. It was impossible to see the number, but maybe it was the inkling or simply the familiarity of the black hatchback that made me curious. I started increasing my pace and walking towards it. 

"Ni-?"

I left Wilder without an explanation, a strange gnawing in my heart. If it was what I thought it was....