2|0

20.

At a quarter to midnight, I should not have been standing in front of the Collier's front door spamming their doorbell like a madwoman. It was late. I was likely going to wake up the whole household, but at that moment, I didn't care. I was an emotional wreck and I needed to talk to my best friend.

A long couple of minutes passed before I finally heard someone fiddling with the lock on the other side of the door. I dropped my hand down to my side. I hoped and prayed that it would be Lucy who opened the door.

"Zoe?" A weary looking Lucy asked. She rubbed her eyes, blinked several times as if she thought she may have been hallucinating.

"I know it's late, but I need to talk." I didn't wait for her to invite me inside. I walked past her into the entryway of the house.

Lucy shut the door behind me before she turned to look at me. Her lips had fallen into the shape of an 'o'. "What's going on?" She asked, as a mix of concern and confusion filled her features. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

I sucked both my top and bottom lip into my mouth, holding onto a breath of air. This wasn't the place to talk, we needed to be in the privacy of her bedroom in case I'd awoken her parents. I elected to ignore Lucy's question, quickly booking it up the stairs to her bedroom.

"What on earth is going on?" Lucy asked again as she followed me into her bedroom, shut the door behind her. "You haven't been drinking again, have you?" By now Lucy was fully awake and her eyes were wide as she took in my appearance. "Did you fall?"

My gaze dropped to where her eyes were eying the dirt that clung to my left hip all the way down my butt and upper thigh. A result of where I had, quite literally, fallen out of Aiden's arms.

I swallowed a lump that had been in my throat since I first got in my car twenty minutes prior. My hand raked through my messy hair. Maybe I was just being mellow dramatic, but there didn't seem to be an easy way to tell my best friend that I just made out with my arch nemesis who also happened to be the guy that she had a crush on.

"Zoe," She pressed when I had still failed to answer her. She raised her eyebrows, impatiently waiting for me to explain myself.

I sucked in a large breath of air; my eyes dropped to the ground. "I kissed Aiden," I mumbled.

There it was out in the open. Aiden and I kissed. I couldn't tell you if it was good or bad. My mind practically shut off and was no longer functioning properly. I didn't know what to feel or how to respond. The kiss hadn't made me feel all giddy inside, but I sure as hell wasn't repulsed either. And that scared me the most.

I hated Aiden. I should have felt disgusted, repulsed, completely and totally nauseated.

Suddenly feeling insecure at my confession, I lifted my head to look at Lucy as my cheeks burned with the most intense heat I had ever felt. I began to ramble at a million miles a minute, feeling the need to explain myself.

"It was a stupid dare. I was at a bonfire with Riley and the guys. The kiss didn't mean anything. I was forced to play the game and Brendon dared me to kiss Aiden. I didn't want to have to shave my head, so I kissed him. I didn't want to kiss him. I hate the guy, but they had clippers and everything. I couldn't lose my hair. I need my hair. And-"

Lucy burst into a fit of laughter, stunning me into a silence. My best friend was finding amusement from the most embarrassing moment of my life. Full on belly laughing at my misfortune.