Chapter 44 - The Source

"There's a building. Inside this building there's a level where no elevator can go, and no stair can reach. This level is filled with doors. These doors lead to many places, hidden places, but one door is special. One door leads to the Source. This building is protected by a very secure system. Every alarm triggers the bomb." The Keymaker said sitting on an armchair. The crew's of Nebuchadnezzar and Somnium (except Seyu and Alyssiana) were planning on getting the one to the source. "A bomb?" Loki repeated staring at the Keymaker with a slightly shocked look. "But like all systems it has a weakness. The system is based on the rules of a building. One system built on another." The Keymaker continued ignoring Loki. "Electricity." Morpheus filled the dots. "If one fails, so must the other." The Keymaker said going threw everyone. "No electricity, no alarms." Tulip thought outloud. "But you'd have to take out a whole city block to kill the power to a building like that." Timothee said on his calm but now concerned voice.

"Not one, 27." The Keymaker corrected. "We have to somehow take out 27 blocks?" Jinx asked concerned. "This is madness.." Loki huffed. Timothee nudged at Loki's side and Loki did a 'Ow' with his lips but stayed quiet. "There is a power station. it must be destroyed." "There must be some kind of failsafe." Trinity said finally opening her mouth. "Yes, there is an emergency system. The core network of the grid must be accessed. The emergency system must be deactivated." The Keymaker anwsered. "Then what do you need us for? Neo could take 'em both out easier than we could." Loki complained. "There's no time." The Keymaker informed. "Why?" Tulip asked. "Once the door is unprotected, the connection will be severed. But another connection must first be made." "How long will that take?" Timothee asked.

"Exactly 314 seconds." The Keymaker said. "Just over 5 minutes." Loki said looking up from his wristwatch. "That is the length and breadth of the window. Only The One can open the door, and only during that window can the door be opened." "How do you know all this?" Kitty asked. Her voice wasn't playful like usually. It was serious and flat. "I know because I must know. It's my purpose. It's the reason I'm here. Same reason we're all here." "Switch, Apoc, Mouse, Jinx and Trinity will have to take out the power station. Tulip you and your crew will make the connection. Me and the Keymaker will go inside the building and secure that Neo gets inside the source." Morpheus lead out the plan. "Sounds like a solid plan." Tulip said "At midnight, there's a shift change in the security of both buildings. At midnight, we will strike." Morpheus said ending the meeting.

"You sure you got this?" Jinx said sitting next to Neo on the bed. "I have to. Eather i get this or we fail." He said looking at Jinx who had a sad look. "I'm sure you got this." Her expression turned soft and she smiled slightly before hugging her lover. The Necbuchazzar left Zion.

The power station exploded. First part had been done. Now it was time for the crew of Somnium to do their part. Neo was looking out at the city. And slowly all the lights went out. "Let's go." Morpheus opened the door and the three walked in. The three arrived at the hallway and made their way to the door at the end of the hallway. "Alright it's almost done." Loki said. In couple of seconds it had been done. The plan had worked for now. The Keymaker opened the door at the end of the hallway and they got into yet another room. "Morpheus. That door will take you and me home." He turned to Neo and pulled out a key and handed it to him. "You'll know which door. Hurry, Neo." Morpheus and the Keymaker walked threw the door the Keymaker had hinted at and Neo walked to one of the doors. Something in his gut told him, this was the one.

Jinx, Trinity, Switch, Apoc and Mouse were already making their way back. Suddenly Jinx stopped on her tracks. "A..aaAAAH." She started suddenly yelling. Everyone hurried to her side. "Are you alright?!" Switch asked looking at the worried. "IT'S HAPPENING!" Jinx screamed.

Jinx and the others got out. She was immediatly taken to the medical room of the ship. "Neo! I NEED NEO!!" She screamed in agony and pain.

Neo looked around. The room was filled with screens. Thousands of screens. Soon his face appeared on all of them. He was confused but didn't show it. "Hello, Neo." An old man with white hair said. He was sitting in a chair that looked a lot like an office chair. "Who are you?" Neo asked looking at him. "I am the Architect. I created the Matrix. I've been waiting for you. You have many questions, and though the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human. Ergo some of my answers you will understand, and some of them you will not. Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also the most irrelevant." "Why am i here?" Neo asked. "Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the Matrix. You are the eventuality of an anomaly, which, despite my sincerest efforts, I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision. While it remains a burden assiduously avoided, it is not unexpected, and thus not beyond a measure of control. Which has led you, inexorably... here."

"You haven't answered my question." Neo said staring at him. "Quite right. Interesting. That was quicker than the others." Suddenly Neo heard his own voice, echoing from diffrent screens. He looked around and saw himself asking these questions. "Others? How many others? What others? Answer my question!" Soon they went silent and Neo had focused back on the Architect. "The Matrix is older than you know. I prefer counting from the emergence of one integral anomaly to the emergence of the next, in which case this is the 6th version." "5 'One's before me? 4 3 2 What are you talking about?" Yet again the screen Neo's asked questions, but the Neo in the middle tried to put everything together. "There are only two possible explanations, either no one told me, or no one knows." "Precisely. As you are undoubtedly gathering, the anomaly is systemic – creating fluctuations in even the most simplistic equations."