23 | gory gory

" She wasn't sad anymore, she was numb, and numb, she knew, was somehow worse

" She wasn't sad anymore, she was numb, and numb, she knew, was somehow worse."

- Atticus

✰✰✰

The next morning, the air was fresh, the sky was bright and then sun was out, and then there was Easy who was slowly getting ready to move out.

Hazel walked into the APO where she could send off the letter she'd written to her mother that morning. Her hair was in two braids, it kept it off her skin in the heat of the day that was quickly approaching with each minute, and she wore her OD set, the front unzipped, as if she were a merry child. When Hazel stepped inside, Vest was inside cleaning up the rest of the packages and boxes that he had inside.

" Hey, Vest." Hazel called as she walked inside with a small smile. Vest turned from where he stood with some letters.

" Hey, Hazel, you gotta letter?" he asked her. She was frequently visiting APO even back in Mourmelon to send letters. She always had one stashed away to send to her mother back home.

" Yeah, hopefully this finds her well." Hazel said handing the piece of wrapped up paper to him.

" It will don't worry." he said with a nod and a smile. The door then opened and both Hazel and Vest turned to see it was Speirs.

" Hazel, I was wondering where you were this morning." he said as he entered with that mischievous smile on his face that Hazel could match equally intention.

Ronald Speirs had been surprisingly like a big brother of sorts to her, almost like a father figure, something she hadn't had. And they got along more than Hazel ever would've thought.

" Sending a letter to my mother." Hazel said leaning back against the counter as Speirs shoved the box onto the counter, " What about you, sir?" Speirs smirked and then placed two smoke cartons on the counter before sliding up next to her.

" I've just about cleaned this place out of every mildly shiny thing." Speirs said, " And of course-" Hazel watched Speirs pull out a tiny figurine from his OD pocket and placed it in her hands. It was a deer.

" Figured you'd like this," he said, " sure it was sort of stock piled at the bottom of this box, a little crushed, but still ya know.."

" A deer." Hazel finished for him and Speirs nodded with a smirk.

" I figured there's more of that lying around, decided to grab it." he said and Hazel smiled.

" Thank you, sir, I appreciate it, it's so cute." she said and Speirs smiled leaning back against the counter as the two stood, looking out the window.

" You still have 5 boxes lying around this entire town don't you." Hazel said quietly as Speirs gently tapped his fingers on his rest.

" Quite possibly," Speirs answered as Hazel chuckled, " Oh come on, you'd do the same." Hazel glanced up at him.