35 | sisterhood

" Sisterhood is many wonderful things

" Sisterhood is many wonderful things. It's a warm smile on a cod and rainy day, a friendly hug, a cheerful hello. It's treasured. It's eternal. It's knowing that there will always be someone there for you. It's dreams shared, and goals achieved. It's counting on others and being counted on. It is real."

- Unknown

✰✰✰

The rest of the night, the women spent talking, nibbling on the treats that George had gratefully delivered, dancing around a bit to the music on the radio, which crackled through softly. They finished the night staring up and out at the stars from Catherine's balcony. 

And Catherine of course had to bring up Joe Liebgott which sent Lizzie squealing over the balcony, which swung out into the down town street. They didn't know yet, but Hazel knew she wanted to. Hazel gently brought up her knees to her chest with a soft smile, staring 1,000 yards away.

" He kissed me," Hazel whispered and both women suddenly grew quiet, watching Hazel with wide eyes," and you know, when they hold you real close, and they don't let go?" Hazel watched the two women with shining eyes.

" He held me like I was his whole word." Hazel whispered, gently touching her soft lips, at the mere thought of Joe. Whenever she thought of him now, she felt so gentle, so calm, so at peace, just so knowing that she had someone like Joe in her life, a man like Joe.

" It's because you are his whole world," Catherine whispered leaning forward to place a gentle hand on her knee. Hazel met her eyes softly, with a tiny smile.

" You really think that?" Hazel whispered softly, smiling just at the thought of his dorky little smile.

" I know so!" Lizzie said jumping up from her bed in complete utter excitement," Don't make me give you a full analytical analysis of this boy and the love eyes I saw in him over a year ago to this day." Hazel and Catherine laughed lightly, suspecting it were a joke.

" I'm serious," Lizzie said," December 31st, 1942, Joe Liebgott walks in with a fresh boutique of yellow flowers for Hazel, when she's tragically ill-"

" Are you going to talk like Shakespeare the entire time?" Catherine said as Lizzie looked at her.

" No," Lizzie said, and then she squealed, " I'm just, I'm happy, you know, I know the way Joe's always looked at you Hazel, they didn't make me a medic for nothing." Hazel watched her with shining eyes.

" So! Tell us!" Catherine said placing a hand on Hazel's shoulder, " I know the feeling of just wanting to talk about him." Hazel blushed at the thought.

" He makes me happy," Hazel whispered as Lizzie held a hand to her heart," of course you two make me happy, but with him, he always found a way to make me feel better, feel loved, like I were the center of attention, just little things that showed me he cared." Hazel sighed softly, her eyes so lovesick, it was like she was on a high. She was so dreamy, her thoughts staying on him.