𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

𝚉𝙰𝚁𝙰
━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

"Do you like this?" I asked.

Nena stood back and looked at me in a pair of blue jeans, a pink casual shirt, and a sandal to go with it.

"You look too simple o!" she exclaimed.

I scoffed at her. "Good, it's simple I am going for. Yasmin said to dress comfortably and myself in jeans and a T-shirt, that's comfortable enough for me."

"So you'd rather be simple than sexy?"

I shook my head.

Nena let out a chuckle. "I know you, and I didn't get to that part, but do you know who you are really going out on a date with? She's one of the most influential women in Nigeria."

After Nena had come to my help during my pregnancy crisis, we agreed that we weren't going to be anything more than friends. She was not ready, and I wanted something serious-so we didn't think it was going to work out at all. As for Yasmin, I knew what I was getting into, but I couldn't deny my feelings. This was way more than what I felt for Bella. Bella.

"You're still thinking of her?"

"Of who?"

"Your jeans fit, they show off your curvaceous figure. You really like this woman, yeah?"

"I think so. I don't know Yasmin too well, but there's something about her that strikes me, and I am yet to figure it out."

She let out a deep breath and sat up on the bed. "Zara, I am not saying you shouldn't like her or do anything with her. What I am worried about is your safety. If you get caught in the act, you will go to jail, and she won't. Have you really thought this through?"

"I wondered when you would bring that up," I replied, sitting down beside her. "I am attracted to her, but I won't lie - I have no idea where this is heading. I don't know if any change will happen soon, or i'll give up and not accept myself the way I am."

She held my hands. "You can persuade Yasmin to bring change, Zara. Her ex-husband is a senator, and she is as influential as Michelle Obama. You have a golden egg here, make sure to use it wisely."

That was one way to look at it, but I didn't want Yasmin to think I was with her because I wanted something. Did I have to be the one to initiate change in this country, how many have tried and lost? Some have even fled the country for their safety, attacking Nigeria behind their screens, leaving us here to pay dearly.

The doorbell rang. I ran out of the room to the front door, leaving Nena to follow behind.

When I opened the door, I was greeted with a gift bag with the scent of a perfume. "A little gift for my Z."

"Yasmin you are so sweet," I said with a light laugh and kissed her on the cheek. "Come in, please."

"Your house is beautiful, did you rent it or buy it?"

"Buying a house in Port Harcourt is pretty expensive. I paid for a five-year lease."

I was busy trying to get her a glass of wine when I saw her move close to me. "You know we do not have to go out of this house on a date. We can have the date right now, right here."

She was a step closer, practically touching me. She lifted her hand to push my hair back and placed her lips on mine.

"Hello," I heard Nena say from behind.

With a jolt, the glass I was holding fell to the ground. "Nena, you scared me," I said with a nervous smile.

"Sorry, I am leaving. Nice to meet you, Ms. Yasmin." She took her handbag, which was on the sofa, and bolted through the front door.