Chapter 11) The Maze

*Your P.O.V*

"So the bear says, 'Your cave?' I've been dumping my bones here since last week." Guy jokes.

"Last week, haha. That's a funny story!" Gran laughs.

"It's not a story! It's a joke." Guy explains to us.

"What's a joke?" Gran asks.

"You know, just making something up... to make you laugh." Guy laughs awkwardly.

"Hah, I don't get it." Gran still laughs.

My family stand motionless before an open plain, deeply sculpted with meandering grooves which form a massive.

~

Guy is handing out shells to us.

"Here you go, one for you, and this ones for you." Guy says smiling as he hands me my shell.

"Thanks." Thunk squeaks.

I can tell Grug is annoyed by everyone blowing their shells.

"Okay. Okay. That's enough. I don't see why the kids need their own shells." Grug asks annoyed.

"So if anyone gets in trouble, we can call the others." Guy states smiling at me, making me blush a little.

"Wait-- you're saying we should split up?" Grug asks enraged.

"We can try more paths at once. It's the fastest way through." Guy offers.

"Croods stick together. Your way isn't safe." Grug argues.

"They can handle it." Guy says as he swiftly grabs my hand and holds it behind our backs so Grug won't see.

"We can do it, dad." Eep encourages.

"No no no no no. It's my job to keep you safe. I'm still in charge and we are not splitting up." Grug stops seeing me and Guy. "Except for you two. And that's final."

I watch as Grug sits down like a silverback gorilla. Just then, A huge rumble. The earth starts to shake violently. The Croods, Guy, and myself are knocked down into the Maze all of us 'falling' into a separate entrance. We dissapear into the rift like a penny dropped down a drain.

"Oh, hello." I hear Guy yell as we fall.

"Hello? Is everyone alright?" Grug yells to us in fear.

"We're okay, Grug." Ugga shouts out.

"Dad? I'm freaking out a little bit. Just tell me what to do. Just what do I do right now?" Thunk yells to us.

"Stay where you are. I'll find you." Grug yells to us.

"No. Too slow. Everybody, keep moving forward and we'll get out." I hear guy tells us from somewhere else in the tunnels.

"Dad?" Thunk calls out, afraid.

"Yeah. Okay." Grug huffs out terrified.

"Remember never not be afraid." Grug yells to us making me roll my eyes.

"You can do this." I hear Guy yell to us, giving me more hope.

"It's gonna be okay. I'm gonna pass out. Thunk picks up his shell, and tentatively makes his way, alone, into his branch of the maze." I hear Thunk from another tunnel as I start to walk farther.

~

I put my hand on the giant wall to my left.

I walk through a cavern with water, finding little flowers decorating my path.

I pick up the flower and put it in my hair, I then find more flowers dropped on my path. I playfully begin looking for Guy. Guy and Belt are secretly and playfully tossing flowers in my path.

I surprise Guy and Belt in their hideaway as the two of them continue to throw flowers over the edge and onto my path.

"You dropped these." I say behind him, surprising him.

Guy slips and falls onto a huge lilypad.

He smiles up at me, "Geez, you scared me lion cub."

We share a moment before I shyly vanishes again.

~

Guy appears at the exit and puts his hand up to the setting sun that kisses the top of the mountain. Guy is amazed that he and I are both doing the same thing. He is smitten. Guy comes over to me.

Guy takes my hand.

"Come with me." He says looking into my eyes, I slowly nod making him smile brightly.

Me and Guy turn to each other, just as Thunk emerges and tosses a rock for the Croco-Pup to fetch, Eep stumbles out right after him, her hair now up?

"Here boy, catch!" Thunk yells as a dog like creature follows him.

A shell note signals Ugga, Gran,Sandy's arrival.

There is an obvious change in the ladies.

"Gran?" Thunk asks out.

Ugga removes her hat to reveal her new look.

"Mom?" Me and Eep call out when we see Ugga.

As soon as Ugga hears my voice she turns to me, her hands covers her face as her eyes start to tear up. I realize what I said and my eyes immediately widen. Ugga leaps forward pulling me into a tight hug as she smiles against my shoulder. I look over to Eep and Guy to try to get them to help me figure out what to do but they both just stare at me with smiles on their faces. Giving in, i wrap my arms around Ugga, my mom. Ugga lets me go smiling happily as Eep steps forward and gives me a breif hug before letting me go and lightly pushing my towards Guy, who slings his arm around my waist tightly as he smiles down at me and presses a kiss to my head.

"Raaah raaah." Belt cheers out in approval.

A loud shell blast interrupts. It is followed by two others.

"Grug?" Ugga, my mom, calls out.

Grug lets out another blow on his horn.

"I'll go get him." She sighs.

(910 words)