Chapter 2

❝Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn in the light

Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn in the light.

- Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter Franchise

Amelia's POV

As I'm sitting there, I can hear Finnick come up to me and sit next to me on the swing. We sit there in silence before Finnick speaks up. "Lia, don't worry it might not even be you and if it is, I'll protect you with my life."

"But it will be you. You're the only male victor for District 4. Also, you know I'll be going in either way the only difference being this time I don't know if I'm going to come out alive if I even want to come out because Finn there's no way I'll be able to live without you." I sign with a small smile and tears running down my face.

"I can't do that again Finny. I won't become the killer they want anymore, and we all know that you can only survive so far in the games by hiding. There's only so long a fourteen-year-old can last surrounded by murderous adults." By this time my breathing has picked up and Finnick has clearly heard it because he wraps me up in his arms humming a tune that our mother sang to us when we were younger.

He sighs but doesn't say anything else about it. He gets up and offers me a hand. "Come on let's get some sleep whilst we still can." I smile softly at him and follow him back to the house. I give him a soft "Goodnight Finn" and he smiles and nods at me with a "night Lia". I slowly walk up the stairs and get into my room and close the door. I make my way over to the bed and get snuggled up under the covers. I hum softly to myself until I fall asleep.

A few hours later when it was time to get up, I awoke with a scream due to the nightmare of my last game. I started silently crying. The scream alerts Finnick who comes running into the room. When he comes into the room, he sees my tearstained cheeks. He already knows what they were caused by, so he says nothing and comes to lay next to me, humming the tune that I hummed only last night until I calmed down.

He looks at me now that I'm calm "Do you want to come down and get something to eat before we have to go Lia?" I gulp and look down at my hands finding them suddenly interesting

He looks at me now that I'm calm "Do you want to come down and get something to eat before we have to go Lia?" I gulp and look down at my hands finding them suddenly interesting. I know that Finnick doesn't like it when I don't eat but for some reason, I think that he'll find today an exception.

"Finn, I don't think that I'll be able to hold anything down with these nerves right now. Maybe on the train." I sign sympathetically. He sighs still not being able to accept that his baby sister will be going back into the games only this time with him and I may not be coming out. He doesn't want to believe that I've given up. "I think that's something you need to come to terms with Finn. I'm going into the games whether you like it or not and you're going to need to accept that I probably won't be coming back with you." He sighs and nods before he leaves me to get dressed.

Once I'm dressed, we head downstairs to meet Mags and Annie on our way to the reaping. We're about to head out the door when we are greeted with peacekeepers "We're here to escort you to the reaping." We look at each other before nodding.

When we arrive at the justice building. We walk up on stage and join with Mags and Annie. Once we're all somewhat settled, Elodie begins with a slightly dejected look knowing that one or both of the selected tributes won't be coming back.

"Welcome. Welcome. As we celebrate the 75th anniversary and third Quarter Quell of the Hunger Games." Finnick and I just look at each other and give the other a small smile before I join my hands with Annie and give her a small smile and squeeze her hand for comfort.

"As always, ladies first." Elodie walks over to the bowl to pull out the name. "The female tribute from District 4...Annie Cresta." Annie immediately breaks down in tears and I can see Mags go to put her hand up. I push it down and walk forward and put my hand up instead signalling that I'm choosing to volunteer. I turn and look to both Mags and Annie and give them small smiles to let them know 'that it's okay' and that 'this is what I want'.

A small tear rolls down my face as I walk to stand beside Elodie. I give her a nod to continue with the proceedings "Wonderful. And now for the men." As Finnick is the only male tribute, Elodie takes a breath and says the words that I have dreaded to hear for the last two days "The male tribute from district 4... Finnick Odair." He walks up to Elodie's other side. We shake hands. "Very well. The tributes from district 4, Amelia and Finnick Odair."

Before we even have a chance to blink and say goodbye to our loved ones were pulled away by peacekeepers. I can hear both Elodie and Finnick protest this and all they say in response is that "Things are different this year." All I can think is no kidding. If it wasn't different, we wouldn't even be here unless one of us was mentoring and neither of us were up to it this year. We both sigh as we enter the train and head straight to our rooms not willing to deal with reality at the moment.