Chapter 3

❝All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

-       Gandalf 'The Fellowship of the Ring'

Bold = Peeta, Normal = Haymitch, Italics = Katniss

3rd POV

On the train, the other tributes, more specifically 12, were watching all of the days reapings so that they could make a choice on who they wanted to be allies with.

Haymitch explains all about the victors as their reaping is played on the screen. "I want you guys to forget everything you think you know about the games. Last year was child's play. This year you're dealing with all experienced killers." Peeta interjects with "Alright. What does that mean for us?"

"That means you're gonna have to have some allies." Peeta, thinking that he's the problem speaks up "Okay. I think that if..." Haymitch quickly interrupts "Woah. You're not the problem." As he points to Katniss. "No" she answers without a second thought. The idea of having to rely on someone who has to kill you to get back to their families is too unsettling.

Haymitch sighs dejectedly "Look, you're starting at a disadvantage. Most of these people have been friends for years." Katniss tries to object saying "That just put us higher in their kill list."

Haymitch tries again "Do it your own way, but I know these people

Haymitch tries again "Do it your own way, but I know these people. You go it alone; their first move is gonna be to hunt you down. Both of you." At this point, Peeta tries to get Katniss to agree and she hesitates, seemingly truly thinking about the idea before interjecting "How could any of us even trust each other?" Haymitch lets them know that "It's not about trust, it's about staying alive."

Haymitch briefs Katniss and Peeta on the victors by showing them images of the victors. Haymitch begins "Cashmere and Gloss, brother and sister, District 1. They won back to back games. Capitol favourites. Lots of sponsors. They will be lethal." He then shows them the next image of the victors from District 2. "And the other half of the career pack? Brutus and Enobaria." Katniss points out the sharp shape of her teeth. "What's with her teeth?" Haymitch informs the pair that "She had them filed into fangs so she could rip people throats out. She's committed, I'll give her that."