00| Prologue

AMELIA STOOD IN front of his home office's door, the stapled pages of paper clutched so tightly in her hand that it was starting to crumple at the edges

She had thought about this a million times, planned out a million ways this conversation could go, made a list of what she would say, prepared a response for every argument he could potentially throw at her (although she doubted there would be any argument at all).

She had calculated exactly how much this whole thing could hurt her, preparing her mind to deal with the hurt before it ever showed on her face.

She inhaled sharply and knocked before pushing the door open.

He looked up from behind his desk, a flicker of surprise crossing his features.

"Lia, what are you doing here? It isn't Friday yet," he said, glancing at his laptop screen to be sure.

"I know but I need to talk to you and it's important," she said almost monotonously.

She stepped forward, holding out the contract for him. He took it from her, reading it over, brown eyes scrutinizing, nose scrunched up ever so slightly.

He hadn't even known that he did that nose scrunch thing until Amelia had told him what felt like ages ago.

"Our contract? If that's because you want to make some changes, I'll get to it tomorrow. I don't have the time..."

"I want you to terminate it and let me go."

He paused, the lines in his forehead increasing as he studied her intently from behind his desk.

"Terminate it? Why?" He asked and the unfamiliar softness in his voice was like a punch to the gut.

"I just want to leave," she breathed out, not daring to meet his gaze.

"Look at me, Lia," he said, the softness replaced by a harshness that made her a stuttering mess and turned her knees to jelly.

But now, she stood still, having gone through this in her head already.

He rose slowly, graceful yet dangerous like a lion waking up from its slumber.

Amelia heard her heart in her ears and she clenched her fists.

She felt him approach her, her body getting hotter the closer he got but she couldn't bring herself to look up from the white marble beneath her feet.

"Have you gone deaf since the last time I saw you?" He whispered and then his hand was on her face.

Amelia inhaled audibly, the touch still sending electric currents running through her nerves.

"I said look at me," he said, his fingers crushing her chin as he tilted her face upwards.

She stared at him, mesmerized. The sunlight from the window glinted off the side of his face, bathing him in a golden glow. His eyes burned against the blue of hers as if wanting to disintegrate her with the intensity.