09| The Road to Healing

AMELIA WAS BROKEN before she met Ethan

He didn't do anything that her mum hadn't done already. She was broken and ruined.

Ethan had only made her feel like maybe she could be fixed after all, like maybe there was hope for her before snatching all that away.

Yes, he'd increased the damage but it was nothing she couldn't deal with.

But what she had done to Alex, it was different. It was so so wrong and how could she ever forgive herself now?

Alex always had big emotions. The ones where you feel too much and end up destroying yourself because of it.

But he'd somehow managed to keep himself intact. Those were the first things she'd noticed about him when they'd first started dating.

He was whole and warm and bright and everything Amelia could never be.

She wondered if she'd made him like her now? If she'd shattered his heart into irreparable tiny pieces that'll make him bleed out until there's no love left anymore.

There was a sob stuck somewhere in her throat. It was there for the last two days now, painful and itchy. She wished it would get out.

The bell rang and she frowned to herself. At least she tried to.

Her muscles screamed in protest at the mere thought of getting out of bed and she tried to will the visitor away.

It rang a second time and she closed her eyes, ignoring the sound.

But what if it was Alex? What if he was back?

She sat upright, her body supporting her now as she got off the bed and walked towards the main door with quick steps.

She smoothed down her hair and tried to bring some blood back to her face by rubbing her palms over it before she yanked the door open.

It wasn't Alex. Of course, why would it be?

“What are you doing here?” She said, a lingering sigh in her words.

“I wanted to check up on you,” Ethan replied.

“Why?” She asked, looking at him as if he'd gone crazy.

He blinked, his hand rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. The motion alerted her. Why was he acting awkward? Ethan had never been awkward about the most awkwardest things.

“What? What's wrong?”

“Alexander handed in his resignation two days ago. Didn't give any reason.”

She deflated, her shoulders sagging. She'd officially ruined him in every way possible.

This job, this damned job was the only reason they'd come here. Because it was Alex's golden chance and now he had given it up because of her.