07| Breaking Point

Beautiful aesthetic for Amelia by -GUCCICLOUDS-

Amelia felt Alex's arm wound around her waist and she cracked an eye open, looking up at him with a sleepy smile

"Hi," she muttered, snuggling against his chest.

"Hey," he replied, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I didn't get to see you yesterday," he stated and she felt herself freeze.

She'd pretended that she was sleeping when Alex had come home so that she wouldn't have to face him.

"I tried to stay up but I was too tired."

Half truths and downright lies.

"What did your boss want?" She asked and felt a wave of guilt and disgust wash over her.

What had she become?

Alex rolled his eyes, his expressions turning sour.

"He never came to talk and I stayed there like an idiot, waiting for him for almost an hour before he gathered the decency to text me that he won't be able to make it."

Ethan really was an asshole. Not just to her but to people around him. And he was an even bigger asshole for putting her in this situation.

"What an asshole," she said, entirely truthful this time.

He nodded and she lifted herself up, pecking him on the lips.

He deepened the kiss by leaning further in and she gladly accepted it.

Alex's phone rang, forcing them to break the kiss.

"Unknown number," he muttered before accepting.

Ethan.

She could hear his voice through the call.

"Hi, Alexander. It's me, Ethan," he said and Alex turned to her with wide eyes.

She managed a weak smile in response.

"Hi, boss. Everything okay?" Alex asked.

"Yes, of course. I actually called to apologize for last night. I got caught up in some stuff but I should have informed you."

Amelia barely managed to hide her shock.

"Oh. Uh, it's alright. But, umm, thanks for saying that," Alex replied awkwardly.

"I'd like to make it up to you and also discuss the thing I wanted to do yesterday."

"Oh, okay. I'll meet you on Monday then?" He asked unsurely.

"How about you come over for dinner tonight?" Ethan asked.

Amelia had started getting suspicious when Ethan had apologized. Ethan Williams never apologized to anyone, let alone an employee who'd only been at his firm for two months.