Chapter 21: Arrested

⬆️Picture of Alex⬆️

Nathanial

Three weeks later, I was walking down the hall to the dining room when Gilly fell into line beside me. "Are you sure this will work?" She said it so quietly that only I could hear her.

I nodded once. "Just follow the plan."

She nodded, going quiet as they walked into the dining room. I took my seat at my uncle's left and Gilly went into the kitchen. He was sitting at the head of the table. My cousin, Alex, who was still only fifteen years old, was sitting beside me at the table. I would've preferred her to not be there, but I couldn't make her leave without seeming suspicious.

My uncle glanced at me. "I see you've finally gotten over that fish."

I could feel my eyes flare, but I kept the things I wanted to say to myself. "What's for dinner tonight?"

"Your cousin made lasagna."

I turned to look at her. "You did? Is it like the one you and your dad made on the night I moved out?"

She smiled. "I tried a new recipe. That one wasn't as good as this one will be. Speaking of you moving..."

My uncle cleared his throat. She'd been trying to figure out why I was back at their house after years of being moved out but my uncle always either shut her down or changed the subject. It didn't matter, though. She'd find out soon enough.

Gilly put the steaming pan of food on the table. "Why don't we eat?"

She sat across from me and began cutting all of us pieces. Once we all had food on our plates, my uncle began eating. I didn't make any move to eat.

He noticed and gave me a look. "Nathaniel, eat your food before it gets cold."

"You know, it's funny..."

"What's funny?"

"That you think you can still order me around."

Alex choked, looking at me fearfully. It was no secret to her that her father was irritable. After all, she knew he was the alpha. And no one else would dare speak to him like I just had.

"Boy, you are on thin ice."

I met his stare, not backing down. "I. Don't. Care."

He slammed his fork down on the table, then pointed at me. "You need to either get in line or go to your room."

"But it isn't my room, is it? It was my moms, right?"

"What are you getting at?"

"It was my mom's room before you killed her."

Alex whipped her head to me and my uncle narrowed his eyes. "Where the hell did you get that idea?"

I crossed my arms. "I figured it out. After I went to the police station and figured out that you lied, Douglass and I put the pieces together. And after you admitted that you lied to me, we dug further. We got information from an inside source that told us everything."

He scoffed. "Like that will have any credibility in court."

"Oh, it doesn't have to." I shouted once, and the sheriff and Officer Cal walked out of the kitchen, where they'd been waiting for him to call them in. "You see, I alerted Officer Cal that there was more to the case than what met the eye."

"When did you have time to do that?"

I smirked. "When you thought I was calling my old apartment complex on the home phone."