Chapter 28: The Siren

Nathaniel

I tackled Max, sinking my claws into his exposed shoulders. He grunted as we fell, me landing on top of him. He shoved me off, getting up again quickly. I growled, stalking around him. He eyed me, hands flaring with blue fire.

I flinched at him, making him take a step back. For every step back he took, I took one towards him. The battle between demons and wolves was still raging, though there were significantly fewer demons attacking. A lot of them had gotten too beat up to continue on and run, valuing their lives more than any wrath their master might unleash on them for running.

I lunged at Max again, using every bit of supernatural strength that I could. He managed to get a few burns in, but I was the one doing most of the injuring. In my fury, I didn't care about the pain. I didn't care that I was burning myself out too quickly, using up every bit of my strength to hurt him. It was the first time I'd ever shifted, so my body wasn't used to the change. That made me weaker than the other wolves, and certainly weaker than a demon.

Pretty soon, that came back to bite me. I started feeling tired and my body wouldn't move as fast as I needed it to.

Max smiled slightly when he noticed my change in pace. "What? Tired already?"

I snarled, snapping my teeth at him.

He let out a laugh. "You are! You're getting sloppy, wolf."

I narrowed my eyes at him, wishing I could fire back at him. He laughed again, advancing on me. He encircled the area where we stood with hot blue flames trapping me.

My ears pinned back and I snarled, backing up until the tip of my tail was almost clipped by the flames.

A shiver went down my spine as Max stood over me, his wings spreading. "It's time to have some fun, wolf."

~~~~~

Douglass

As I went over the cliff, I could feel myself bleeding out. I reached out to Nate, wishing I could take his hands. If I was going to die, I wanted him to be the last thing I saw. The last thing I touched.

He screamed for me, panic rising in his eyes.

I could feel the cool of the water coming closer. Even though I wanted him to be the last thing I saw, I couldn't bear the pain in his face. A single tear slipped onto my cheek and into the air before I closed my eyes, bracing myself for darkness.

When my body hit the surface of the water, I hardly felt it. In fact, the cold was comforting. The glow on my skin fizzled out as I sunk into the depths of the ocean. My gills tried to pull in the oxygen in the water, but the loss of blood made me too weak to do even that.

By back hit the sand, and I finally stopped moving. I could feel the movement of the fish swimming in the coral around me, and the seaweed moving with the sway of the water. Seagrass tickled my legs and face, and Nate's jacket moved against my skin.

I was going to die. And in the ocean, of all places. The one place I thought I wouldn't ever get hurt.

I felt a wave of calm pass through me and I let out my last breath.

Or I thought I had. As soon as it left my lips, I felt light burn against my eyelids. I slowly cracked them open, looking up at the face of a siren I never thought I'd see again.

Her blonde hair fanned out around her, and her pastel purple and blue scales shimmered in the light. Her grey eyes stared into my soul, and she smiled slightly. The sun that shone through the water made her seem to glow.