3: Talk To Me

"You have everything you need?" Jack asked poking his head into his room where I was getting ready for bed.

"Absolutely everything" I smiled slightly.

"Alright well, I'll be right out here on the couch if you need anything" he smiled at me before walking away from the door frame.

"Jack!" I yelled probably a little quicker and louder than I anticipated.

"Yes Bailey?" Jack asked with a light laugh appearing in the doorway again.

"Where are you going?" I asked quietly.

"Umm...to the couch" he leaned against the inside of the door frame.

"Why are you going to the couch?"

"Because I'm giving you my room so you're more comfortable, so I'm sleeping on the couch" he crossed his arms.

"Do you have to sleep on the couch?" I looked at him hesitantly.

"What's going on Bailey?" He asked concerned as he crossed the room and sat at the edge of the bed.

"Nothing" I breathed taking a seat next to him.

"Don't lie to me" he said quickly.

"I'm not" I said defensively.

"You've been through a lot, not just tonight. So when you say you're fine, that nothings going on or that everything's ok you're lying to me. We've known each other a long time, don't lie to me. Talk to me Bailey" he looked at me seriously.

"You know, I called a lot of people tonight to tell them I was safe. Out of everyone you're the only one who hasn't talked to me or treated me like I'm this fragile shell of a human, like I'm going to break" I explained looking into his eyes.

"You've already been broken" he gently placed a hand on my knee. "You finally leaving, you finally opening up, that shows you were strong enough to put yourself back together. You're not fragile, you're the strongest person I know, that I've ever known. It takes a lot of courage and a lot of strength to do what you did, to leave even though you knew it could be dangerous. I know how strong you are but if you ever need me I'm always going to be here for you no matter what so please, please don't lie to me. Be open and honest. If somethings bothering you tell me, if somethings wrong tell me."

"I don't...I just don't think I can sleep alone" I got out barely above a whisper. "Can you stay in here with me?"

"Is that really what you want?"

"You make me feel safe and honestly I'm not sure when I'll feel completely safe again...especially without you" I explained holding back tears.

"Of course I'll stay with you if that's what you want" he smiled slightly.

"Please" I looked at him with wide eyes.

"I'll go make sure everything's locked up and turned off" he stood up and pressed a slow kiss to my forehead.

"Thank you" I whispered softly as he pulled away.

"I'll be right back" he gave a small smile before walking out.

When he came back I had stayed in the same position as when he left.

"You haven't moved" he chuckled softly.

"I'm afraid I won't be able to sleep" I confessed.

"You'll be able to sleep, just try to relax" he pulled the blankets back as I stood up.

"You're right, you're right I'll try" I weakly smiled.

I dragged myself to the opposite side of the bed that Jack was on and almost throw myself to lay down.

I laid staring at the ceiling realizing how dark the room was. I took a deep breath trying to relax myself.

"You ok?" Jack asked concerned.

"Yeah I guess" I breathed out.

I felt Jack turn in the bed towards me.

"Again, talk to me. What's wrong?"

"What if he finds me? What if he's serious? What if I'm putting you in danger?" I started to ramble.

"Shh" he started soothingly. "That's not going to happen"

"And if it does?"

"It won't"

"You can't be sure of that" I breathed a laugh.

"Of course I can" I felt him turn in the bed again to lay on his back.

I turned my head to glance at him. I saw the slight smile on his face from the light filtering through the window now that my eyes had adjusted to the darkness. It caused a smile to slowly spread on my face. I was so lucky to have a friend like him, his whole family for that matter.

I suddenly had an overwhelming sense of appreciation for him and his brothers. I loved them so much, I would almost be nothing without them.

I turned to face Jack and before I could overthink anything, I wrapped my arms around him and laid my head on his chest.

"Is this ok?" I asked into his chest.

"This is always ok" he wrapped his arms loosely around me rubbing his hands over my upper arms.

"Thank you again, I really don't know how much I can say it. I just really appreciate it and I really appreciate you" I squeezed him a little tighter.

"You don't have to thank me for anything, I'll always be here for you"

"I can always go stay with Quinn apparently if I get on your nerves" I laughed lightly.

"You won't have to stay with Quinn, unless you want to of course. But you're welcome to stay here for as long as you want. It's going to be nice having you here"

"I'd rather be here with you if I'm being honest" I confessed through a yawn.

"Good, I would rather you be here with me too" I could hear the sleep in his voice.

Before I knew it, I was getting sleepy and falling asleep on Jack. Breathing in his smell that I had grown to love growing up had comforted me enough to relax me to the point where I wanted to fall asleep.

I felt Jack's breathing even out and I tilted my head up to see his sleeping face. I smiled to myself. For the first time in years that I could remember, I was going to bed not in fear but in comfort. It had been so long that fear didn't consume every single part of my life that I had forgotten how great it felt to be free of that feeling.

I knew I had an unbelievably long road ahead of me with healing but for the first time since I walked out of that house and left that entire life behind, I felt hopeful that I could do it. I had a sense of promise about the future that I hadn't had since I was little...since my life consisted mostly of the Hughes brothers.

I took another quick glance up at Jack. He looked so peaceful, so at ease yet his arms were still tightly around me holding me to him. I couldn't love him more.