Distractions

Everyone has hobbies that keep them distracted from real life problems.  Mine is working out, especially running.  When I run, I feel free.  I feel fast.  But what happens when the distractions don't help you run from the distractions?

-

Doctor Alison Anderson walked into the area where all of the interns were for the incoming year along with the other doctors.  Her blonde hair was down straight as she had her side bangs pinned to the side.  She had been working at Seattle Grace Hospital for two years alongside Doctor Addison Montgomery-Shepherd.    

Choosing her job profession of becoming a doctor wasn't easy.  Not very many people could do it.  Either they don't have the time it takes to be one or the dedication for the hard work it takes.  You have to be on top of your game all the time - you can't afford any distractions.  

When she first had come to her mother about wanting to be a doctor - Madelyn was encouraging towards her.  But she also wanted her daughter to be realistic.  She knew that her daughter was a bright student and always received straight A's in school.  She was destined for greatness.  But she also wanted to make sure that her daughter knew the disadvantages of becoming one.  Somehow, the positives outweighed the negatives in this case.

Alison knew even from the beginning that she wanted to be a Pediatric surgeon.  She wanted to help kids with health problems and mothers whose babies were still in the womb with health problems.  Which is why she wanted to be a double-board certified surgeon in neonatal and fetal for pediatrics.  She was a senior resident.  It was what she felt like she was being called to do.  

Doctor Burke followed the two Peds doctors into the patients room as well as their interns.  

"Doctor Anderson, you have a patient in room twelve," a nurse tells her.

"Thank you," she grabs his chart and walks into his room while reading it.

Alison walked in with her interns following her along with Doctor Burke.  

"O'Malley," Alison called on George as he recited the patients health problems.

"Michelle Thomas.  She is thirty-four years old and is pregnant with twins.  Baby A has BAV which is bicuspid aortic valve."

"What exactly is BAV doing to Baby A?"

"The aortic valve opens and shuts, allowing the blood flow from the heart to the aorta.  The leakage in Baby A's aorta valve is causing too much damage and surgery is the only way to repair it."

"And how are we going to perform the surgery, Yang?"

"Doctor Shepherd-Montgomery will first perform the c-section and then Doctor Burke as well as Doctor Anderson will perform the surgery on your child," Yang spoke to the married couple as Michelle rubbed her stomach reassuring her children they will be okay.  "Doctor Burke and Doctor Anderson will either have to remove her valve which will then be replaced by a new one or it could be repaired, depending on how bad it is.  He will be doing a minimally invasive surgery meaning that there will only be a two to four inch incision without having to open the baby's whole chest.  The aortic will then be repaired by reshaping the valve cusps, allowing the valve to move more open and freely."

"I see you've been doing your homework, Yang," Doctor Montgomery-Shepherd spoke to the intern.

Cristina gave a barely there small smile as she looked at the couple who was about to become a family of four.  

Addison and Alison had already been speaking with each other in confidence which one of the interns they would like to see join their Peds team.  

At Seattle Grace Hospital, Addison and Alison were known as the dream team.  Everyone knew they were the best at what they did and everyone said that Alison had hands of pure gold and only had one patient die on her.