Chapter 9 Marinette Makes a Run for it

Marinette finishes getting her stuff ready. She takes the suitcase downstairs. She hates to cut the visit short.  She feels as if she has no other choice.  She walks out the back door.  As she places the luggage in the taxi she does not look back.  She fears it will make things harder.

      "Mari, wait!"  Adrien calls out.

     She does not hear him as the cab takes off. 

        Adrien tries to wave in the hopes the driver will stop. However, nothing happens.  

         Marinette continues to make her quick exit.

         Adrien frowns.  Why did she leave without saying goodbye?  

          "Could it be, she does not love me?"

          "How could I have been, so wrong?"

           He heads to the airport in his car.

            Marinette arrives at the airport a few minutes later. 

            Adrien pulls up next to the vehicle.  He helps her with the bags.

           "You did not need to do that you know."

            Marinette protests when the driver leaves after, Adrien, pays him.

            "I know, but I  will miss you."

            "Adrien, I will miss you too."

          "Then, do not go yet.  Please, stay for a few more days."   He reaches out and holds her hand.

               "I can not there is business to attend too, and..."

                "Please, for me?"

            Adrien gets no answer.  He leans in and kisses her. This time on her lips.  He feels her pull away.  Did he miss read her?

             "A-Adrien, we must not like this."

             "Marinette?"

              Marinette hears him whisper her name. 

             Adrien watches her go.  He lets the tears he held back flow now. It does not matter anymore.  His girlfriend leaves.  He loves her.  He believes it is one-sided. Perhaps, things were moving too fast for her. He should not have kissed her. It hurt him more than he let on when she gave no kiss in return.

            "Marinette, I love you."

           He clinches his fist in defeat.

           Marinette runs to the gate. She barely makes it on time. She hands her suitcase to the baggage claim personal who scowls.  She pays the fee. She holds onto the smaller bags.

           She makes her way to her seat. She hopes in time Adrien will forgive her for her sudden return home. It is just she is not that great with goodbyes. She never has been. She is not ready for romance yet.  

        It was wrong for her to have gone to see him. She knows it now. She feels her face droop and her eyes feel sullen. It is awful. She feels a sadness wash over her she has not felt in years.  

         "Adrien, I am sorry. I could not stay." She mutters.

         The airplane soars into the sky.  A few minutes into the flight, Marinette texts Adrien.

             She waits to see what happens.  No messages.  It means no responses from him.

                 She places a hand over her heart.  What has she done?  

               Adrien reads the text and scowls.

                 "I can not believe you."  He yells.

              Adrien takes his phone and smashes it against the sidewalk outside the building. He drives home with anger, sadness, and frustration. He almost runs off the road.

              Find out more in Chapter 10

              bye, bye little owlets!

             -Summer out!