Chapter Seventeen

The night of the dance, Jake purposely stayed in his room. He didn't want to see her before she was ready. He hadn't seen the dress or anything.

He was more nervous than he'd been in a long time. She was so beautiful. Her high cheekbones and bright crystal eyes and excited smile and flawless body and impeccable size and adoring gazes... God, he was nervous. What if he screwed up? What if something happened at the party? He was almost positive nothing would, but he could never be sure.

Someone knocked on his bedroom door. He got up and adjusted his tie before opening it. She looked stunning. The dress was a deep purple mermaid that hugged her curves and tastefully left little to the imagination. Her cheeks flushed when she saw him stare. "I needed help zipping it," she whispered. "Then we can go." She turned around and moved her long, red, lightly curled hair out of the way.

He swallowed and stepped forward, pulling the tab up her back. His knuckles brushed her spine and she shivered. When he'd finished, he turned her around gently and smoothed the hair out of her face. "You're so gorgeous," he said.

"Thank you."

"Ana," he said as they walked out the door. She eyed him. He was wearing a well-fitting tux that showed off his body in a fashionable sense. Ana forced herself to look away. "They probably won't, because I'll be with you the whole time, but if anyone says anything to you or tries to do anything, let me know. I know you can handle yourself and I don't doubt that you'll stand up to them, but I still want to know, okay?"

She smiled, having no intentions of letting him know. At least he understood that she could take care of herself. "Sure."

"Really. These people are normally nice, but when they're jerks, they're out to kill."

"I'll be fine." Why was she the one assuring him? Shouldn't it be the other way around? "Let's go."

She had no idea what to expect.

When they got to the building, he entered with his arm securely around her waist. She leaned into him. They entered and almost as soon as they did, someone pointed him out. People swarmed them. He smiled and laughed care-freely and she tried to do the same. He introduced her as his beautiful, perfect date, and she grinned and made some witty remark. People seemed to like her.

When they had a moment alone on the dance floor, she remarked, "You didn't tell me you were so popular."

"I didn't want to scare you off."

"How do you know all these people?"

"I played football for twelve years with the school. I had to quit when I picked up the jobs, but I still went to most of the games."

"Did I only now find out that my date to prom is the most-loved jock in the entire school?"

He laughed. "Maybe." She smiled and they danced for a while longer. "Ana?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you for coming with me." She was about to respond, but without warning, he forcefully pulled her tightly against him, pressing her head to his chest. He let his hands sink lower on her body. "If you want me to stop, just tell me," he whispered.

"You don't need to." Her fingers traced the veins on his neck. One of his hands grabbed her ass and the other one moved up into her hair, still holding her to him.

"You didn't tell me you were bringing a pretty girl, Jake," a man's voice said from behind her. She felt his muscles tense and kissed his shoulder, the realization suddenly clear to her. He relaxed slightly. "I don't think I've met this one."