XI

"There is nothing more admirable than when two people who see eye to eye keep house as man and wife, confounding their enemies and delighting their friends." Homer, The Odyssey

---- 

XI.

Claire had not expected to cry as she farewelled her family. It was not as though she would never see them again. After all, the plan for the honeymoon journey was merely a fortnight. But it was the first time she had ever left her family. Perhaps that very thought was why Mrs Denham kept dabbing her eyes with her handkerchief as well.

Ashwood's most stately coach had been ordered for their use, and Claire had never been inside something so grand. Really, there was room enough for Jack and Claire to have their own wide bench, but for the purpose of appearing as blissful newlyweds, they were seated beside each other. The bench opposite was occupied by a brown leather bag dutifully packed by Mrs Hayes, filled with anything they might need on their journey.

"We are to stay at Ashwood Place," murmured Jack once they were away.

Claire had not given much thought as to where they would stay. But, of course, the Ashwood Estate reached further than their Hertfordshire village. All society families had homes in London. She then recalled that the Beresfords had spent over a decade living in London, so they most certainly had a fine home. Claire could not envision Cecily living in anything less.

"Where is it?" she asked, as though she had any idea at all of the geography of London. He might have told her the Moon and she would have been none the wiser.

"Mayfair," replied Jack.

Claire had never heard of Mayfair, but she would have wagered it was terribly fashionable. "Do you live there always?" she continued to inquire.

Jack shook his head. "No. I have not lived there since ... well, ever really. When my family moved to London, my brother was sent to Eton, and I away to a formative boarding school before I could join him there. We had school holidays and Christmases at Ashwood Place, but it was never home. No, I live ... well, I keep an apartment for myself nearby."

Claire noticed Jack's tone change as he mentioned his apartment, as though it was something shameful to mention. She could not think of anything shameful about one's dwelling ... unless ... perhaps he was not the apartment's only resident.

"It must have been difficult being sent away to school so young," Claire decided to say, leaving that topic of conversation be.

"It is what's expected, I suppose," said Jack simply.

Claire felt her arm snake discreetly over her belly as the thought of her own child leaving home so young to go away to school filled her head. Surely, they didn't have to. Her brothers were educated at the church school. Peter ... well, Peter was terribly good with numbers, and he might have liked to study further, but Jem was just as clever as any other young boy.

Jack surprised her by chuckling. "Claire, if our child wished to be educated at home, I would take that as a personal compliment. It would mean that we have created an environment so positive and enriching that he or she would not want to leave. Trust me, that is the sort of home I would want to raise a child in."

"You seem to have mastered the talent of reading my thoughts ever so quickly," observed Claire.

"I am glad of it," replied Jack. "It saves me time when you will not share them with me freely ... yet."

The carriage travelled up the main street of the village purposely, at the behest of the vicar. Many parishioners had gathered to wave the newlyweds off on their honeymoon, just as they had gathered after the wedding of Adam and Grace. Claire found herself smiling, looking out the window, and waving to the people who had known her all her life. As they passed what was her home, Claire noticed a tall, blond man standing outside of it, leaning against the stone wall in wait.