XIX

"No person, trying to take responsibility for her or his identity, should have to be so alone. There must be those among whom we can sit down and weep, and still be counted as warriors." Adrienne Rich, Sources

---- 

XIX.

"Do you suppose we can sneak in through the kitchen?" Jack whispered to Claire as their carriage pulled through the gates of Ashwood House.

But they both knew any hope for a quiet entrance was too late as the front door opened and a parade of footmen, led by Cole, spilled down the stairs.

"We don't need to lie when they ask us questions about the honeymoon trip," Jack continued quietly. "Though ... you are welcome to tell anyone about my ... er ..." he trailed off awkwardly.

"I won't tell anyone about the aftermath of our trip to the theatre," Claire assured him. "If they ask, we have plenty of anecdotes to share. It was a wonderful trip."

Jack chuckled, though clearly relieved. Claire could see how anxious he was, still, and it did anger her that a man with so much good in him could be perceived so incorrectly by one who should love him unconditionally. Though he claimed it a lost cause, winning his mother's approval did mean a lot to Jack, Claire observed.

When the carriage pulled to a stop, the door was promptly opened and Claire was assisted out, closely followed by Jack.

"Good afternoon, milord, milady," the butler greeted formally, with a bow of his head.

"Good afternoon, Cole," replied Jack. "I suppose all of this will need to go up to my old room, then." He motioned to the trunks, and the shopping boxes that they had accumulated while in London.

"The duke took it upon himself to have your things moved to the south wing, milord," reported Cole. "A belated wedding gift. Privacy. There is a proper suite of rooms waiting for you and Lady Claire."

Jack frowned. "Are you speaking of the Rose Room?" he clarified.

"Yes, milord." Cole nodded.

"Great, just when my mother didn't already want to kill me," he hissed under his breath. "Brilliant. Thank you, Cole." Jack took Claire's arm and swiftly led her away from the carriage and up the stairs.

"Is there something wrong with the Rose Room?" Claire asked as she practically ran up the stairs alongside Jack. Personally, she liked the idea of privacy. She was worried that Grace might enter into Jack's bedroom unannounced and notice their odd sleeping arrangement.

"Oh, no, it is palatial and perfectly luxurious, or so I'm told," replied Jack. "My mother loves those rooms. Personally, I have never been inside. No one has. We were told as children never to snoop in there as they were reserved for royal guests."

"So, Adam has gifted us rooms fit for royalty?"

"Yes. I don't know what he's playing at."

Claire couldn't believe that Adam was playing at anything. Surely, he was merely being kind and offering Jack rooms fit for a married man, and not a bachelor. Considering Claire had spent the best part of her life sharing a bedroom, and a bed, with her two sisters, she was quite excited to see the room that was supposedly fit for a queen.

As they walked across the marble foyer, Jack suddenly stopped and turned to Claire. "Are you alright?" he suddenly asked, his brows furrowing.

Claire was nervous, certainly, but she knew that everything would be alright. She trusted Jack. Claire nodded.

Jack checked the time on his pocket watch briefly. "I am going to go and see my brother in his study. Why don't you go into the drawing room and ring the bell for some tea and get the servants to tell Grace and Susanna that you are there."