chapter five - a disagreement

Daphne had somehow persuaded Anthony to promenade with her the next morning as Simon was busy dealing with affairs and she had some acquaintances with whom she wished fo catch up

The Sun was shining beautifully, the gardens were abuzz with London socialites and it seemed that summer was in full swing.

They must have spoken to half of the Ton before the two siblings were afforded any time to themselves. And Anthony was about to question Daph on the reality of married life when they were ungracefully interrupted by the sound of laughter and a young blonde bounding down the path towards them.

"Daph you promised me we would take a turn together before twelve. Oh I can't stand all these pompous Southern Lords! Take me back to the North!" Declared Aurora with a grin and she barrelled into Daphne.

Daph chuckled before responding, "surely you have found at least one to your liking?"

"Indeed I have not" countered Aurora, still not noticing the young Lord who was staring at her in shock. "I had hopes for your brother but from what I've heard he is far too dull. I could never marry someone as boring as he."

"Is that so?" Chimed in Anthony with a glare upon his face.

Aurora turned around in surprise to face him, "goodness, my apologies my Lord. I have not seen you before, I am Aurora Grey."

Anthony paused for a moment to view the girl in all her barbarity before speaking, "Viscount Bridgerton." He said coldly.

The young woman gasped quietly and appeared frozen for a moment before she collapsed into a fit of laughter, thus further tarnishing her in the eyes of the young Lord.

"Do you mock me, my Lady?"

"No, my Lord, not at all." Aurora wheezed, "oh, this is simply too hilarious. Although I see you are not much amused."

"No I am not. Indeed, I find your behaviour most unladylike. I had initially been enticed by the thought of our meeting but I now see that you are little more than a child in your manners."

"Anthony!" Daphne interrupted, shocked at her brother's outburst.

"No, Daph. To think mother suggested I court her! I have not met such a barbaric and ignorant girl before in my life. I can certainly see why you did not enter London society last year, when you should have. Pray, do return home away from us pompous Southern Lords. We certainly do not desire you."

Aurora fell silent at his outburst. She was well aware of the gossip that had surrounded her late entrance into society, but she had refused to abandon her younger brother as he lay dying from scarlet fever. She knew that it had caused a stir but she had not anticipate to eldest Bridgerton to be quite so cruel.

"I am deeply sorry, Lord Bridgerton. I did not mean to offend you so. I will take my leave." With that, Aurora left the two siblings.

Several moments passed before Daphne chose to speak.

"Anthony how could you treat her with such lack of feeling. I have never seen you be so cold to someone before in my life. Surely she cannot have offended you so severely?"

"You would not understand, sister." Replied Anthony cooly.

"I understand a great deal more than you might think. And I most certainly understand that you have lost all chances of marrying Aurora now."

"Good. I am glad of it."

"You are a fool if you truly believe that. I have not seen a couple so well suited in quite some time. I just hope you come to realise that before I it is too late."

With that said, Daphne turned and perused her friend, hoping to fix any burning bridges before the path became too dangerous.