chapter six - lady Danbury

After leaving the two elder Bridgerton's in a flurry of anger and embarrassment, Aurora retreated to the cake stand underneath one of the many coloured marquees that could be found in the Hampton Court Palace gardens

"Are you quite alright my dear?" Called a genuinely concerned Lady Danbury as she smoothly walked over to the girl. "You look upset."

Aurora turned to the woman in surprise before painting a faux smile on her face.

"Yes, Lady Danbury, I am quite alright."

"Are you sure?" The elder woman held out her arm, suggesting they promenade together. "You needn't hide such things from me. Especially when it concerns the Bridgerton's. I could tell you stories about any one of them that would be most embarrassing. Now please, do share your burdens with me."

Aurora took Lady Danbury's arm graciously and they began walking through the gardens at a amiable pace. "It is only the Viscount Bridgerton. I have met him a mere once and he has already declared me a barbarian of sorts. Now, I know I should not take heed of what he says but I cannot help but be offended." She paused in thought. "Tell me, Lady Danbury, how am I ever to marry when the only suitor my father deems suitable is such a prick!"

Lady Danbury chuckled in response.

"You know, my dear, he is not half so bad as he appears."

"Perhaps you are right. Perhaps he is right and I am in need of some 'civilising'."

They paused beside the waters of the river and Lady Danbury turned to Aurora, clasping her hands.

"Darling you are perfect as you are, do not change for him. Do not change for anyone. If he cannot appreciate your finer qualities then he is not the man I thought him to be."

Aurora sighed lightly and nodded in agreement. "You are right, Lady Danbury. Thank you for your wisdom, you always know exactly what to say. I can only hope that I grow to be so intelligent."

"You flatter me, my dear. It is only that men are so very stupid in comparison to us."

Aurora giggled.

"Now, I see The young Eloise Bridgerton is calling to you. But before you leave, promise me that you will fine with myself and Simon some time soon - I think he misses the company of his childhood friend."

"And I his. It has been so long since we had a proper conversation. Yes, my Lady, I shall take you up on that offer if I may? And now, I must see to Eloise. I shall find you soon."

"I hope so. Farewell child."

Aurora made her way to Eloise as quickly as she could whilst still maintaining some kind of dignity.

"Aurora I heard what my brother said! Oh he is the rudest man alive, and such an idiot. I am sorry!"

Aurora rolled her eyes, somewhat out of breath.

"Don't be silly it's hardly your fault. Besides, I want to talk to you about Lady Whistledown."

Eloise's eyes lit up at the mention of that infamous name. She grabbed hold of Aurora's arm and positively dragged her into the rose gardens of the palace where the two could talk in secret.

"Tell me, what do you know." Eloise said as she paced excitedly.

"Oh I know absolutely nothing of the damned woman. But I want to. I want to hear everything."

"Wait! Let me show you my notebook!" Exclaimed the girl in response.

***

It was no less than an hour later that Daphne finally found the two, still hidden away in the rose gardens.

"Aurora, good! I thought you had left. Eloise, I see you are still struggling to master the art of the promenade."

"It's hardly an art. Besides, I cannot think of anything worse than being stuck talking to stupid men about stupid things." Responded Eloise with a childish air.

Aurora smirked, "not even Sir Phillip Crane?"

Eloise's face went red with fury.

"What?!" She turned to Daphne. "How could you tell her of that man's insolence?"

Daphne struggled to prevent herself from snorting at Eloise's furious face.

"He only proposed to you, Eloise. Nothing more. You make it sound like he tried to attack you."

Eloise stood up with a loud huff.

"I shall never marry. I am quite decided on the matter. Especially after that man's escapade."

Aurora and Daphne merely glanced at each other, both sharing the exact same thought.